Whats your engine oil?

I installed the Mobil 1, 4T 10W-40 (9 dollars a bottle). After a nice ride, i can report and maybe its just my head playing games after reading these threads, but the the shifting feels a lot smoother, 1st to 2nd, was nice... but the engine sounds/feels the same. So the conventional oil change would have cost $15 and the Syn oil change cost $30. I am hoping the extra cost will payoff with the improved shifting and add some life to my 30+ year old engine.

I think the only gain that you will see with the Mobile 1 4T is that it has a higher flash point and maybe better startup protection. Becuase it has a higher flash point and sticks to parts better you may be way better off in the hot air cooled engine. With the mobile 1 there will be more and better oil in the cylinders making the cylinders and rings have a longer life. The rest is speculative as to what may get better protection in an engine. Modern oils are so good its hard to say that Mobile 1 gives better protection otherwise.

Its funny that you say its shifts better. You know they say that most people feel that their cars or whatever feel like they run better after an oil change. I had it happen to me in my old VW van this week. I just changed the oil and it seemed like it ran better. It makes no sense at all, but it realy felt that way. But I "know" it is an illusion. However its a great illusion, puts a smile on my face.

Depending on how dirty the oil is it won't lubricate or cool as well as fresh oil. Swapping the old dirty for fresh clean oil does make the engine run better and cooler.

Bonsoir . J'utilise : TOTAL ACTIVA 3000 ou ELF 20W 50 . en Bretagne FRANCE . ( plus difficile à trouver l'hiver !.... alors 20W 40 en attendant l'été ) . Christian

that link is a crock, sorry just my opionion. that only thing that was inportant out of it was change out oil every 1000 miles. 10w40 is very usable above 40F and if you guys really look at it, you should not making your motor and clutch try to push around 50w oil in the winter.

Totally agree. He may know something about bikes (or he may not, I've never read his pages...) but he knows eff-all about oil. His chart is absolute BS. 20w40 is good up to 85 but 10w40 is only good to 40? Wow, so my 5w40 probably shouldn't be used above freezing, huh? What a load of crap. 5w40 and 20w40 should be essentially the same at operating temp.

I run Rotella T6 full synthetic 5w40 in everything I own. If its above 90, I'm usually doing my best to stay air conditioned anyway - I'm a bit too Nordic.

....and I just realized how old this topic is...

.....it happens....but since you've already took a club to the horse...lol.

Im a BIG believer in Rotella T in cycles.

I run the 5w40 T6 fully synthetic in my 106ci Victory.......even on the hottest day it doesnt run over 225 degrees. Ive sent an oil sample that was 800 miles PAST the service interval off to Blackstone Labs.....they said it was good for atleast another 1000.

In my bikes that dont call for synthetic I run the regular dino Rotella T 15w40......which is 5 steet bikes, 4 atvs and 2 dirt bikes. Its cheap, its proven effective AND

***ITS JASO-MA and MB rated.....yes, its rated for motorcycle applications***

Both the regular T and the T6 are motorcycle rated oils......the T5 (semi-syn) wasnt last time I checked.

Great oil, cheap and can be found everywhere

What the difference from the recommended GTX oil when these bikes were new & the GTX you buy today

Bonjour, il s'agit de l'epaisseur de l'huile par rapport a la pompe à huile qui est moins performante que les plus modernes qui sont plus puissantes et performantes ..20/40 ou 20/50 colle et mouille ou adhere mieux qu'une huile plus fluide donc 20/50 OU 40 sur nos vieilles SURTOUT QUAND IL FAIT CHAUD .... Bonne année 2013 à tous .

Bonsoir . J'utilise : TOTAL ACTIVA 3000 ou ELF 20W 50 . en Bretagne FRANCE . ( plus difficile à trouver l'hiver !.... alors 20W 40 en attendant l'été ) . Christian

Good evening. I use: TOTAL enabled 3000 or ELF 20W 50. in Brittany FRANCE. (harder to find winter!... so 20W 40 until summer). Christian
Good evening. I use: TOTAL enabled 3000 or ELF 20W 50. in Brittany FRANCE. (harder to find winter!... so 20W 40 until summer). Christian
Any name brand is suitable just watch out for to many additives, wet clutches will sometimes slip

Bonjour, il s'agit de l'epaisseur de l'huile par rapport a la pompe à huile qui est moins performante que les plus modernes qui sont plus puissantes et performantes ..20/40 ou 20/50 colle et mouille ou adhere mieux qu'une huile plus fluide donc 20/50 OU 40 sur nos vieilles SURTOUT QUAND IL FAIT CHAUD .... Bonne année 2013 à tous .

Hello, this is the thickness of the oil from the oil pump which is less efficient than modern which are more powerful and efficient.20/40 or 20/50 sticks and wet or so better than a more fluid oil so 20/50 or 40 on our old especially when it is hot... Happy new year 2013 at all.
Sorry translator hashed this one:laugh:(damn MS Bing:banghead:) but yes a modern blended viscosity oil is better than the old straight weights in most applications

Back