Which combo for front drum brake set up?

mseriously

Newb
Reaction score
I like the mechanical set up of a drum brake. I want to run one on my bike I'm trying to button up this winter. Front and rear. Already have the stock rear set up. What should I look for to get a front drum set up? What year's had the front drum? Any other bikes with a compatible donor?

The 70-71 had a front drum. In 72 they went with a one year disc set up that didn't work well. in 73 and up they went with a disc set up where the disc bolted to the hub.
Finding the early front drum and compatible forks may take some doing. Might be easier to mod a 73 up 34 mm fork or a 77 up 35mm fork.
Leo

The xs360/400 drum at a minimum (fades with spirited use). The CB450 works a bit better (fades less and only a little more money) and the T500 Suzuki is probably the best of the three ( 4 leading shoe and big )w/o getting into thousands of dollars (but getting a bit spendy) . All require specialized knowledge to work correctly . Good news there is there are more than a few of us here that remember a day when all bikes were drum . Look into "arcing shoes" and "leading shoe brake adjustment" for starters . Also find a friction shop locally that bonds and or rivets material to shoes and have a "friction coefficient vs wear vs wet weather performance" discussion . If they know the terms you found the right place .

~kop

64-72 Harley drum swap is another option. They're not the cheapest but you can still find a good deal. Basically all you need to make is axle spacers and a stay for the drum plate. If you want more info let me know.

If Interested, let me know. I have a complete setup from a 81 xs400, wheel, tire, forks, and tree. The forks are 33mm and adjusting the tree to fit could be some work. Just a thought. The tire is a new Continental 120/90 made in Germany.

Attachments

• PTDC0012.jpg
    PTDC0012.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 145
64-72 Harley drum swap is another option. They're not the cheapest but you can still find a good deal. Basically all you need to make is axle spacers and a stay for the drum plate. If you want more info let me know.

that's what I did.
[/URL][/IMG]

Attachments

• 1370340305.jpg
    1370340305.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 0
Thanks guys...looking for a direction and you gave me the guts of it...now to do some research...might contact a few of you if I get stumped or have questions. Thanks.

Back