White smoke?

SPEIRMOOR

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bike has never ran better but I have white smoke coming out of the left muffler when the bike is revved up. Any ideas on whats going on?

Possibly a bit of oil burning. Do you need to add much oil between oil changes? If you have to add a quart or so bewteen changes I might worry a bit. If you add a few ounces between changes it's not enough to worry about.
Does it do this all the time or just at start up and stops when it gets warm?
If just at start up it's not a real big problem. If it does it all the time, it's a bit more of a problem.
When you ride with a group do the riders behind you stay way behind you? Like 1/2 to 1 mile. Then It may be a problem.
Often on a fresh rebuild a bit of oil burning can occur until the rings get well seated. My 750 kit is smoking a bit on start up, more on the left but stopps as the bike warms up.
I only have a few hundred miles on it. If it keeps doing it after 500 to 1000 miles I might start to wonder.

Last night while stopped at a traffic light and a light breeze against my back was the first time I noticed as the smoke swept past me.The bike has been idle for two years as other projects took priority so I cant verify oil consumption.I rebuilt the famous starter gear and went with Amsoil as that's what I had at my disposal at the time.I did soda blast the engine and hosed down afterwards but after 100mi I dont think it could be water in the engine any more.Do you think it could be the Amsoil?

I doubt it would be the Amsoil. I have ran Amsoil in my harley since the first oil change with out any problems. Running the Amsoil will clean out alot of the crud build up from old oil inside the engine.
I might run Dino oil for a change or two. It may help the rings reseat better. Maybe not. Hard to say.
As being it has set for awhile I would ride it and watch the oil level and for leaks. Fix the leaks and watch how it does. After a while the smoking may stop. If it does then be happy.
If not it could be the valve seals or head gasket. A check of the torque on the headbolts often helps with a leaky head gasket. On the 8 large acorn nuts on the head torqueing to 30 or 35 ft/lbs helps even more. Swapping the rubber coated washers under the 4 out side acorn nuts with brass washer helps. The stock rubber washers don't hold the torque very well.
I would swap the 4 washers, torque the headbolts and ride it.

Back