Why old music is better... and - Truth.

Hey emzdogz...I kinda agree. Much like TV and movies are a rehash of the best of the old stuff. There are some new talents sticking their heads out all over. I really think the interweb helps us to discover much quicker and easier the new talent and decide for ourselves what we loke and dont like. There is a wide range of new music if you look for it. I love finding a new and different band with a new or even an old sound.
The Black Keys
Alabama Shakes
The Gourds
Ben Howard
The Civil Wars
Adele...yes I said it
and a lot of the older musicians are still making great sounds...its just people forgot about them and only listen to what the RADIO plays and what the sponsors want you to hear....
til I get another ramble on....Kev.

I heard The Black Keys for the first time just a few days ago-- impressive!

I don't think that music is any better or worse than it ever was-- it's just that what "makes the grade" into radio and other main stream music play lists is too formulaic. I'm not a big fan but Garth Brooks described it best when he said the bosses hold up a cowboy hat and parade the chosen musicians under the hat until the newness wear off.

Same is true for other genres.

I think the newer musicians have lost their freedom to create. They make some good music, then the record companies tell them what they can and cannot do. Like Waylon Jennings getting totally pissed off. Or Willie Nelson being told "Red Headed Stranger" was a waste of recording time. Just look at the number of bands that wrote about the music companies and what they do. I think Pink Floyd had the best view of it in the song, "Have a Cigar".

Auto-Tune is the worst thing that has happened to music in my opinion. Any Disney kid that looks cute can have a radio hit whether they can sing or not. I can't frikkin' stand it!
I'm stuck in the mid 80's metal and punk days though - wtf do I know about music ;-) ??

501Spanky - I should have stated at the time that I agree with you 100%. I don't have a problem with autotune to fix A mistake that was missed during the recordings, but I can't understand how it became so accepted.

^You might be surprised how records are put together, to a certain extent since the advent of tape recording, but especially since digital recording. Every other note could be spliced in and often is, and you'd never know it. The technique of replacing notes or groups of notes is called "punching in". Read up on it. Punching in might be to fix a wrong note or because the producer or artist wants some other inflection. And then they might punch in just one note of a whole group of notes they just now punched in. Compared to those editing tricks, autotune is a very minor player - unless you're recording someone who just can't play or sing in tune :) It's astounding what goes into making a record, even with a good artist. But in the best case it's to creatively add to the recording, not to fix a no-talent bum....

Maybe that is why some groups sound awesome on recordings , but sound like "crap" at a live show......thats why I like live music....ya cant hide anything when you are on stage....well maybe there are tricks to that too.....????? Kev

Maybe that is why some groups sound awesome on recordings , but sound like "crap" at a live show......thats why I like live music....ya cant hide anything when you are on stage....well maybe there are tricks to that too.....????? Kev

+++++++1 on that!!
There are some great recording bands I have seen that were total shit live. Or they needed 10 other players to produce the same song on the record.

xjwmx - Yeah. I've actually been in several studios and done a fair amount of recording on my own. That would sound impressive, but the fact is... well the product I turned out... err... it never really caught on. I would say it wasn't really mediocre... but just not always good.

I've got no problem with punching in and multiple takes. When recording myself, I use it as a writing tool... just to try out different parts.

I think most people that don't like autotune are thinking of the people with no talent... I've also gotten tired of the t-payne style vocals too. I thought it was cool when Imogene Heap did that song that got sampled, but I think that is a vocoder... which some people call autotune too.

Back