Will someone take a picture?

cmyoch

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I need a picture of the choke plunger in the "on" position to see how high the plunger should be on a BS38 from a '78. I need to see if adjustments are necessary on mine.

Thanks!

In my opinion:
A 1/4" of stroke on the plunger is about normal. Anything more isn't going to make any difference, and less probably won't either. It's an on/off choke, once it lifts about 3/16" it's pretty much full on. I've never heard of a need to adjust the choke on a BS38.

There is no adjustment on the plunger. You can bend the spring steel strap a little that the choke lever locks "on" against to get a bit more lift. I did have a set of '77 carbs that were harder cold starting because the chokes weren't open enough. Bending that spring steel bracket fixed it.

Chocke closed...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 127
First picture, closed, is correct.
Second picture, open, is not open enough. The change should be about 1/4". Looks like you have about 1/8".
Pull the rod, and see if the plungers move freely. You may need to polish the plungers and clean out the plunger holes. If plungers move freely, then work on linkage and bend the spring steel clip as 5twins suggested.

Well, cleaning the chokes didn't solve the issue. Now they are clean at least. I'll bend the bracket a bit now and see if it helps.

My mystery choke didn't work at first. Had to start it with the throttle for a handful of times. Just had to run the bike a bit to get it working properly.

Back