Wondering???

jsmith1107

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am new to this forum but not new to cycles in general. I have a few in my stable right now but am currently looking at a 72 X650 that is for sale. Some generals about the bike first of all: The tins have all been repainted with stripes, etc put on them. (side covers, tank, headlight bucket, etc) and the tach and speedo gauges have been redone as well. It is missing the seat and the mufflers are NOT original either. IT runs strong and the rest of the bike is pretty mint for the most part. MY QUESTION is this---what's a bike like that worth? I just don't know my XS650 prices. I would appreciate some help.

Thanks a lot.

Jeff

A few years ago, $300-$500. Lately prices for these old scoots have been shooting up, but I'd say less than $1500 for sure. This is all given it has a title, w/o we are back down to about $300 in parts.

the market in denver has been around 2k for a stock bike this spring. it is double of last year, and quadruple that of 2 years ago. good for sellers, sucks for me. Prices can vary a lot depending on the region.

I'll help you out.

5K25Fa5H13G63Ia3M6c3u3e281d68b1001bdd.jpg

It's worth the $3,000 that he is asking in my opinion

Keep in mind a '72 is quite a bit different than later bikes. Steering tube is shorter making front end swaps a challenge and the engine is different in some ways. Some would consider it more desirable, more collectible, others would find it a PITA to build a custom off of.

I have a '72 frame with a '78 engine. Having the later engine helped a bit with rebuilding it given parts availability (not really sure what the differences are between the early engines and the later '447' engines but I know there are some). Putting a 35mm front end on it required shortening the later model steering stem which then required adding material / turning on a lathe to seat the bottom bearing. Would have been easier to swap stems from the 34mm '72 trees to the later 35mm tree but I didn't know that and sold my 34mm front end as a set.

OK, I take back my previous estimate, that bike is pretty cherry. Find a seat and you have a nice stock bike. $3K maybe a little steep, prices do differ depending on location. I'd say the $2K-$2500 would be far if it runs OK, low miles or engine is in superb shape then closer to $3K. That's the stock paint scheme for a 72.

Back