Would like the opinion from the forum...

brendo22

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
77XSD
Around 20k on it
Runs very well, great power, smooth through all gearing, runs like it should... no problems really outside of small tuning tweaks I've ironed out
Doesn't make a ton of top end noise, pretty smooth and probably quieter than most...
Everything is within spec (valves/tensioner/timing, etc)

So as I stated in another thread, I had changed my oil for the first time (I've owned it) and had some confusion about oil level...

Well, I also found a nice little pile metal shavings and some small black plastics bits caked up around my side oil filter. The previous owner had changed the oil consistently, but said he never changed or examined the sump filter. So I was expecting to find it torn, and it was, thus explaining all the crap in the side filter. And I'm aware that this is typically the front cam guide wearing out, etc.

My question is, as of now it runs great, everything is in order other than this finding. What would be people's advice on either a) doing a top end rebuild of some kind immediately or b) wait until the spring time, then ride it, put more miles on it, etc and check the oil frequently to see what's going on from there? There were no contaminants in the oil itself either. I've got this feeling that the pile of stuff in there has been adding up for a while now...

What are the consequences of just riding it and say the tensioner fails, etc? Just a top end rebuild as of that point? Any major damage I'm vulnerable to if I do just ride and keep an eye out first?

I don't put a ton of miles on the bike, and I store it for the winter. It's not going to be getting a ton of miles in the future either, this is a fair weather, fun secondary vehicle for me.

Any advice, input, etc. just trying to figure out if I absolutely need to rip it apart over winter or should be prudent and examine this when I start riding again early in the spring time and then determine where to go from there?

Sorry for the long post, I like to be as thorough as I can, thanks for any input fellas! :thumbsup:

77XSD
Around 20k on it
Runs very well, great power, smooth through all gearing, runs like it should... no problems really outside of small tuning tweaks I've ironed out
Doesn't make a ton of top end noise, pretty smooth and probably quieter than most...
Everything is within spec (valves/tensioner/timing, etc)

So as I stated in another thread, I had changed my oil for the first time (I've owned it) and had some confusion about oil level...

Well, I also found a nice little pile metal shavings and some small black plastics bits caked up around my side oil filter. The previous owner had changed the oil consistently, but said he never changed or examined the sump filter. So I was expecting to find it torn, and it was, thus explaining all the crap in the side filter. And I'm aware that this is typically the front cam guide wearing out, etc.

My question is, as of now it runs great, everything is in order other than this finding. What would be people's advice on either a) doing a top end rebuild of some kind immediately or b) wait until the spring time, then ride it, put more miles on it, etc and check the oil frequently to see what's going on from there? There were no contaminants in the oil itself either. I've got this feeling that the pile of stuff in there has been adding up for a while now...

What are the consequences of just riding it and say the tensioner fails, etc? Just a top end rebuild as of that point? Any major damage I'm vulnerable to if I do just ride and keep an eye out first?

I don't put a ton of miles on the bike, and I store it for the winter. It's not going to be getting a ton of miles in the future either, this is a fair weather, fun secondary vehicle for me.

Any advice, input, etc. just trying to figure out if I absolutely need to rip it apart over winter or should be prudent and examine this when I start riding again early in the spring time and then determine where to go from there?

Sorry for the long post, I like to be as thorough as I can, thanks for any input fellas! :thumbsup:

Its a personal choice.From your description, it sounds like the wear has not progressed excessively. You can continue to ride the bike and monitor what shows up with oil changes. As you know, the front guide wears out on every one of these bikes. I would wait until something else shows up that demands a top-end rebuild.

Other reasons to do a top end job:
Compression drops and power is decreasing.
Engine starts using a ton of oil.
Strange mechanical noises start appearing.

Thanks for the great input Retired, this is helping me with perspective! This is also about $ and also I've never tore into a motor before, everything else bike related I'm privy to, but it would take much more resources/time to rip the top end off for me at this moment. Plus, I don't want to throw a bunch of money at it if I don't necessarily have to, it runs great and is overall an awesome machine... so if I can ride it and check it, and know that if it "blows up" anytime in between, that the damage shouldn't be devastating, I'd be more inclined to do that, as long as I'm not vulnerable to some crazy type damage.

I do plan on refreshing the top end at some point, but I'd like to do that when I absolutely have to, without a doubt, not just on "preference" but for "need".

Edit: I also don't plan on riding it until it blows up, lol, just like to get as much life out of it before I have to do it, etc. so I can save up funds etc.

Any others feel free to chime in too!

You got the right idea. As long as it is running reasonably good and you are not beating the snot out of it you can ride until the "funny noise " ain't funny no more. In the mean time buy your parts when you can afford them and then you will have everything you need come rebuild time.

Hi

Just run it and take it steady, get to know the bike even more. If it starts to make strange noises then consider a refurb. If you're planning to keep it for a while, then use that time to save a little money and read up on doing the actual works required

As RG says, Ride it and continue to observe what's in the screens at oil changes. As you continue to read and participate in the forum you will probably notice that many of us obsess a bit about our bikes. That's ok, it's a fun hobby and a better obsession than most. The truth though is that the XS650 is a remarkably tough piece of equipment that really requires little more than regular maintenance. Don't worry....enjoy!

roy

Thanks guys for the input! This is exactly what I was looking to hear, I'm pretty keen on being in tune with my bikes, and it sounds like I'll start knowing when things are starting to get really tired, lol, once I get to know the bike more as time goes by.

I'm also the same way, lol, I tend to go overboard and like to keep things up to par more than most, and probably in the category of obsessive as well, but I want to balance that with the XS, and take things one step at a time.

This input has puts my mind at ease in addressing the issue and I'll wait until something more "obvious" starts showing up and keep up on checking the oil frequently until then, etc...

This is my first XS, and I absolutely love this machine, it's such a great bike all around, and I don't plan on parting with her for a very long time, if ever.

Back