XS-2 Battery

Major Domo

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The battery on my XS-2 is deader than a door nail (won't hold a charge). Looking for a reasonably-priced AGM replacement. I usually by Yuasa, but as I may be selling the bike, I don't think I want to pay so much for a Yuasa. So what are other's using? Thanks!

The battery on my XS-2 is deader than a door nail (won't hold a charge). Looking for a reasonably-priced AGM replacement. I usually by Yuasa, but as I may be selling the bike, I don't think I want to pay so much for a Yuasa. So what are other's using? Thanks!
NAPA. There’s is made by Deka. I’m not sure if they cover XS-2. My later XS650s are running them.

I bought 1 of these last year for a XS2. So far it's working well.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202668222500
1691430069607.png

+1 on the Mighty Max. I’ve bought three for three different bikes and couldn’t be happier. Amazon is a good source as well.

Furthermore, the KMG YT12C battery has the terminal polarities on the correct sides.
The Mighty Max, which I linked to above, and the eBay battery cited above, have the terminal polarities reversed from what is proper for a 72-73.

I somehow left the key on and discharged the battery to a point the charger thinks the battery is bad and wouldn’t charge it. I used the series trick to fool the charger. I connected a charged battery in series. Pos-pos, neg/neg and connected the charger to the good battery to fool it. Worked like a charm. After about an hour the charger showed 13.2 so I unplugged everything and hooked up the charger to the dead battery. Success! Battery had enough to take a charge and this morning reads a full 13.2.IMG_6541.jpeg

Last edited:
All 4 of the Mighty Max batteries I’ve purchased kicked the bucket within a year.

4 different bikes.

I’ve been using a couple for several years with no issues. Maybe you got the west coast batch…..

All 4 of the Mighty Max batteries I’ve purchased kicked the bucket within a year.

4 different bikes.
I've only bought one Mighty Max. I've had it for 11 months. Maybe it's going to kick the bucket after one more month?
The KMG I've had for a little over two years, still good.
The OP wanted a reasonably-priced AGM. If you want longevity, go with lithium. I've got two good Shorai batteries that are over 10 years old.

I've only bought one Mighty Max. I've had it for 11 months. Maybe it's going to kick the bucket after one more month?
The KMG I've had for a little over two years, still good.
The OP wanted a reasonably-priced AGM. If you want longevity, go with lithium. I've got two good Shorai batteries that are over 10 years old.

In all honesty, I think it’s got something to do with living by the coast and then having a big temp shift everyday.

I knew they were low quality when I got em but figured they would last more than a year.

Once they died, getting them to recharge was a chore, and they wouldn’t hold that charge for very long. Each time dying/charging they held a charge less and less until nothing.

Back