XS1 Centre stand dimensions

Grewth

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've just been lucky enough to buy this early type centre stand for my XS1B without the traditional mutilated or ripped off tongue.
It is twisted along the axis of the centre tube but that's only to be expected after fifty years or so.
I'm also wondering if it's been bent narrower at the bottom.
Measuring across the outside of the feet I'm getting 273mm at the widest point.
Could someone who's lucky enough to have a perfect stand please find the time to run a tape measure across the stand feet and see what they get.
The only other stand I have is well battered, not much point taking any dimensions off it.

Attachments

• 1684833911221938668490.jpg
    1684833911221938668490.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 35
I've just been lucky enough to buy this early type centre stand for my XS1B without the traditional mutilated or ripped off tongue.
It is twisted along the axis of the centre tube but that's only to be expected after fifty years or so.
I'm also wondering if it's been bent narrower at the bottom.
Measuring across the outside of the feet I'm getting 273mm at the widest point.
Could someone who's lucky enough to have a perfect stand please find the time to run a tape measure across the stand feet and see what they get.
The only other stand I have is well battered, not much point taking any dimensions off it.
Can't vouch for perfect but checked two got 11" and 11 1/2" :unsure:

Can't vouch for perfect but checked two got 11" and 11 1/2" :unsure:
Thanks Gary.
I've been working in millimetres for so long that I've almost forgotten about feet and inches, but my 273mm is equal to about 10 3/4" so it looks like it's closed up a bit as well as twisting.
I can see what will happen if I just try to force it straight now - the pivot lugs will go right out of line.
I've got a spare XS1B frame sitting in my garden, so I'll try it for fit on that first, then build myself a straightening jig at work.
One with drilled lugs to locate the pivot bolts and keep everything in line.
When I've got this stand sorted, I can make a start on the other one.
That's had the tang replaced by a 6" long bolt at some point.
I'm wondering if I can sacrifice a later XS650 stand and recycle the tang ?

Hopefully the twist will come out without having to apply heat

Attachments

• IMG_20230523_131307.jpg
    IMG_20230523_131307.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 37
a later XS650 stand and recycle the tang ?
You can use a later stand complete by shortening the cross bar and rewelding. heat and massaging the tang for best fit around an early exhaust will probably be needed.
Hopefully the twist will come out without having to apply heat
I prefer using heat. It's all mild steel, the heat won't hurt anything.

Back