XS1 Front disk brake swap?

BlackRabbit18

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My apologies if the answer is out there somewhere but i haven't been able to find it. How would I go about getting a front disk brake on a 1970 XS1? The bike is being shipped so i dont know if i really want to do it yet but I would love to know what would be involved. I hear none of the other years swap on.

Swap forks (front end) to a 73 would by far be the most straightforward way to do it.
It bolts on, all dimensions the same you would have to decide on using the gators or not use the ears to go with that choise.
But why would you?
A big part of the cachet of a 70 is the drum brake.
KIMG2377.JPG
My opinion might be biased.

Swap forks (front end) to a 73 would by far be the most straightforward way to do it.
But why would you?
A big part of the cachet of a 70 is the drum brake.
View attachment 228124
My opinion might be biased.
that makes sense, thank you! I dont know yet, I want to do a tasteful restomod but i also want it to go and stop well so im just looking at options

There's a bit of technique to setting up a drum. I've ridden several drum front XS's and once adjusted correctly the brakes are fine for normal to slightly aggressive street riding, would be happy to advise if needed.

I had an XS1B with an extended fork and a very rough XS2 I was building into a race bike so I swapped the XS2 front end on to the XS1. I think it was pretty straightforward.

Back