Wanted - XS650 Carbs

waycoolsportster

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody got a GOOD set of carbs 4 sale?? Hopefully cheap?? I have cleaned mine several times and still am not getting fuel! I am over-budget on this bike and broke as hell so I need to get it running!! Let me know what you have!! Thanks!!

There is nothing unfixable about your carbs. If you are broke, fix what you have, we can help.
The biggest hurdle to getting carbs fixed is patience.
The carb overhaul guide in tech is excellent. Unless you are willing to pay $100 to $150 for WORKING carbs you will just trade your problems for someone else's problems and be out the money to boot.
I find myself spending about 5 or 6 hours to get through a set of carbs, sometimes longer and I have been to the dance a few times. Everytime I try to "speed it up" I just have to do it twice.

CPT: I think they're 34's, it's on an '81
Gary..I am sure you're absolutely right about them being fixable, I have gotten several PM's with tips and plan to go through these carbs again. If I were to find a set that actually worked for 100 or so I could afford that but so far on ebay all I saw was no guarantee and "need cleaned" in that price catagory...probably just as bad as the ones I have. I wish I had the cash for a 2 into one and a used Harley carb, but I don't. I just want to get this motor running so I can see what issues it has before I go further on this bike...I'm kicking myself in the ass right now for not spending a little more and getting a running bike to start with

Steel tops, foam or brass floats? Have you removed the float valves and cleaned the screen above them? The float bowl has a passage and a jet for the "choke" circuit, it is often plugged. I always use a plastic lawn mower tank for test runs, it sucks to dump a bunch of rusty tank crap into a set of fresh carbs.:banghead: It also makes it easy to do final adjustments. Did you remove the idle screw caps or did the PO do that already?

Those caps have to come out. Last ones I did I just drilled bigger and bigger till they were so thin they came out on the drill bit. nice to have the carbs clamped and use a drill press for the control it provides. On others I have done a small hole and a drywall screw screwed in it would remove them but these have some pretty thick aluminum plugs. You have to be careful that you don't drill into the top of the idle jet screw. I still think a small plastic tank is best. IMHO double filters can stop the fuel flow.
82hs%20014.jpg

Note the fuel level inside the screen, this screen was cleaned with carb cleaner. It doesn't take much to stop fuel flow at low head.

I pulled set off my 80 2 weeks ago bike ran great I just stripped the bike down for a tracker build. 100 bucks will get them to your door. I have the new mikes kit sitting in a box to replace them.

Back