xs650 possible dead battery

tuba6869

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey everyone im new here and just picked up my 79 xs650 today. i went home to put the battery on a charger to try and charge it and the tender is just flashing when installed in the bike and also even out of the bike. does that mean that the battery is completely dead or is something else possibly wrong. thanks for your help

Most modern automatic chargers won't even try a to charge a very low battery. An older or heavy duty charger might get to work trying to charge it but if the battery is stone dead and has been sitting that way for any amount of time it's toast and needs to be replaced.
Trying to use a crap battery on a motorcycle is a bad idea and may cost you much more than a new battery would. If you just have to try to start the bike without a new battery, jumping from a not running car tractor etc will usually work.
Welcome to the forum and a suggestion; read the new to me thread for much sage advice regarding starting a long dormant XS650

Most modern automatic chargers won't even try a to charge a very low battery. An older or heavy duty charger might get to work trying to charge it but if the battery is stone dead and has been sitting that way for any amount of time it's toast and needs to be replaced.
Trying to use a crap battery on a motorcycle is a bad idea and may cost you much more than a new battery would. If you just have to try to start the bike without a new battery, jumping from a not running car tractor etc will usually work.
Welcome to the forum and a suggestion; read the new to me thread for much sage advice regarding starting a long dormant XS650

thank you i will have to check that thread out!

Hi tuba,
if the battery came with the bike and the bike hasn't run for years, that battery is shot.
Go buy a new one.
Meanwhile you can jumper the bike from a car battery for anything except a road test.
OK, you can bunjie the car battery onto the seat behind you and run jumper cables but I don't recommend it.

the battery did come with the bike, the sticker on it says its form 2013 but also i doubt it was on any type of tender. but hasnt ran since spring. im sure its totally dead, will be getting a new one soon

Some bikes can be run without a battery or even a dead battery. The XS650 is not one of those. The ignition system and charging system need a good battery.
Leo

Back