Yamaha XS500 timing question

kawasaki kdx

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have yet another question on how to set timing(I look at Yamaha TX500 service manual)! I don't see any marks on this and it says remove hex plug? on left side to turn engine to align marks!

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    241.6 KB · Views: 23
Both plugs will fire every stroke in a wasted spark system. This allows for the use of one set of points or electric trigger to run both cylinders.

Well I guess I'm full of it then. Lol. Carry on! I'm too used to dealing with our 360deg twins I guess.

Second thought, maybe someone put a dual fire coil on?

Last edited:
OK. With a 180 degree crank and two sets of points, plug will fire each upward stroke on each cylinder. But left and right sparks should be 180 degree carnk rotation apart each time there's a spark. If left and right plugs are genuinely firing together, then there is an issue.

Not on a system with two sets of crankshaft triggered points. Each and every stroke towards TDC on each cylinder (like a two stroke engine). Hence, known as a wasted spark system on a four stroke engine.
It's not driven directly from the crank. there's a shaft and gear that reduces it to 2 to 1.... so it's timed just like a camshaft driven system.

1705519995851.png

It's not driven directly from the crank. there's a shaft and gear that reduces it to 2 to 1.... so it's timed just like a camshaft driven system.

View attachment 259900
Thanks for that. I would never have guessed looking at the picture posted above.

Looking very carefully, I see the points are handed and the heels are 90 degrees apart. OP can forget what I thought above.

But, if the plugs fire together, there's definitely a problem there.

Back