My first ever bike build!!

Just wanted to chime in here and congratulate you on some excellent work AW. I recently acquired a 1972 that I will be chopping up (not completely by choice) and only hope that my work is half as good as yours. Inspirational to say the least. I'm going to start my build thread very soon although initially it will be more of an introduction thread as the work will probably go slow. I'll explain why I am chopping a "classic"there.

Also, in regards to the Dynabeads that were discussed several pages back. I recently had them installed during my last tire change on my 2004 Road Star Warrior about a month ago. I love them. I have ridden in everything from slow moving traffic with slow to modest acceleration up to trying to rip the back tire off accelerating well north of 100. I have noticed no difference from when the external weights were on it. I was told that I may feel slight instability at slower speeds, but unless your tire is grossly unbalanced, I doubt you would. I at least haven't.

Just wanted to chime in here and congratulate you on some excellent work AW. I recently acquired a 1972 that I will be chopping up (not completely by choice) and only hope that my work is half as good as yours. Inspirational to say the least. I'm going to start my build thread very soon although initially it will be more of an introduction thread as the work will probably go slow. I'll explain why I am chopping a "classic"there.

Also, in regards to the Dynabeads that were discussed several pages back. I recently had them installed during my last tire change on my 2004 Road Star Warrior about a month ago. I love them. I have ridden in everything from slow moving traffic with slow to modest acceleration up to trying to rip the back tire off accelerating well north of 100. I have noticed no difference from when the external weights were on it. I was told that I may feel slight instability at slower speeds, but unless your tire is grossly unbalanced, I doubt you would. I at least haven't.

Wow, thank you very much! I can but only hope it is all ok when I kick her over! Maybe on Thursday if I can get my mate to come over and help me!:shrug::bike:

I'm sure your reasons are viable for chopping yours up, nothing wrong with chopping up a classic, except for the fact that they are becoming rarer by the day! So preservation might just be an investment, rather than "just another chop"! At the end of the day, it is up to you what you will be doing with it! Either way, it will be an amazing journey in learning and experience!!:bike:

Looking forward to your build thread, and wish you all the best! Be sure to check out my engine build thread too if you plan on rebuilding yours!:thumbsup:

Looking forward to your build thread, and wish you all the best! Be sure to check out my engine build thread too if you plan on rebuilding yours!:thumbsup:

I have read that thread as well and it is an excellent write-up. I am selector claw and a couple gears away from splitting the case. Got the rotor and clutch removed this past Sunday. It's pouring here so probably no work tonight. May get that intro thread up.

I have read that thread as well and it is an excellent write-up. I am selector claw and a couple gears away from splitting the case. Got the rotor and clutch removed this past Sunday. It's pouring here so probably no work tonight. May get that intro thread up.

I searched for a visual thread and could not find one, that is why I did that thread. A few people have used it to help with their rebuilds. It's not 100% detailed, but the important pics are there! I would still use other guides on top of my thread.

Do get build thread up! And do a list! It seems daunting at first, but as it goes down, your will to finish goes up!:thumbsup:

Airwolfie, I got to tell you GOOD LUCK on the start up.
forgot to say that before.
SkavenDC ,Bluecrabs and a xs650 should be a good build thread

Thanks Brother!! I will need it!!! Wanted tot try tomorrow night, but we got the carpeter coming for the nursery, and then I will have to spend the evening assembling the cot and closet! :shrug:

did u try 2 crank her?

No :mad:

Been pissing down with rain since yesterday, and we got more thunderstorms coming this weekend!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Also have to go to a wedding tomorroww, whoo. So, unless the sun comes out on Sunday,no hope of trying to kick her over!!!:mad::banghead::mad::banghead::banghead:

AAAAAAAAARRRRRGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!:banghead::banghead:

Guess what........................................

Man I am so chuffed!!! It all started really badly, one of the plugs thread was buggered, so luckily my mate had a tool to run over the thread backwards, meaning all the crap fall out the top! Don't ask how, it just works! Black magic or something he tells me!!:D

THEN, she didn't want to fire up at all. I kicked her over about 40 times(kinda wish I kept the e-start lol), nothing. Took a break and tried again. After a few kicks, there was life!!! But only for about 3 seconds. Then after that, nothing again. This carried on for quite a while(stopped filming by then!) I was ready to give up TBH!

Decided to have another go, a dozen or so kicks later, she burst into life again!! I gave the throttle a handful and kept her there for a bit, as she was fighting me to die again!!! Kept going(no video unfortunately! Gave up by then trying to film the "first start"!), and realised the throttle adjuster is completely down! Turned it a bit up to where she would idle on her own without my hanfull on the throttle. All sweet and running now!!

Then I thought to give her a little trip round the block, but the clutch was not playing along. It is slipping quite badly, I can basically drop it in first, slowly release the clutch all the way whilst giving a bit of juice, and holding the front brake,I canlet go of the clutch and she's not moving but still running. I tried to adjust the worm gear, but if I engage it too much the clutch does not disengage enough.

Also, I can't get her out of first whilst running, but when I turn her off, I can. No other gears either TBH, while she is running. I have a friend to come over hopefully sometime this week, he's a bike mechanic, so hopefully he can sort her out!

I also have a small leak on the right front part of the right cover, I guess I should have replaced the gasket, I did open her that side about a million times!!:doh:

BUT SHE RUNS!!!!!:D:D:thumbsup::bike::bike::bike::bike:

Guess I can do this now!!!

- Mount headlight properly DONE!!!
- Find replacement line for clutch DONE!!!
- finish off foot pegs DONE!!
- mount indicators FRONT ONES DONE!!
- mount coils DONE!!!
- mount tacho and speedo DONE!!
- mount Boyer ignition DONE!!!
- add fake oil tank for housing electrics DONE!!
- add key starter DONE!!!
- add hi/lo light switch DONE!!!
- add kill switch DONE!!!
- add neutral light DONE!!!
- add spark leadsDONE!!!
-Install Boyer power boxDONE!!!
-Install one way valve on breather DONE!!!
-Bleed clutchDONE!!!
- plug excess petcock holesDONE!!!
- add petcockDONE!!!
- install fuel lineDONE!!!
- add filter podsDONE!!!
-clean and line gas tankDONE!!!
- fabricate rear fenderDONE!!!
- mount rear fenderDONE!!!
- mount rear lightDONE!!!
- add hornDONE!!!
- replace tyresDONE!!!
- fab steering stopDONE!!!
- make spacers for calipers/rotorsDONE!!!
- paint gas tankDONE!!!
- add chainDONE!!!
- Find replacement brake line for front brakeDONE!!!
- recon front caliperDONE!!!
-Bleed brakesDONE!!!
- sort out exhaustsDONE!!!
- mount rear brake switchDONE!!!
- wire entire bikeDONE THE ENGINE!!!
- add oilDONE!!!
- mount front fender
- paint fenders
- mount number plate
- add fuelDONE!!!
- run engineDONE!!!
- tune engine
- get MOT!!

Getting shorter now!!!:D:D

Last edited:
Try turning your clutch adjuster counter clock wise about 3/4 turn ( loosen the nut , have a screw driver in place , ) and about 1/4 back . It is easy to loose your place when trying to dial these clutches in , but you have be gentle with it . Where the manual says "turn it until it bottoms out " or something like that is misleading .

Back