$100 1982 Yamaha Heritage Special

I dont have a wire coming from the right cam cover,
Left cover, not the right.
TCI was Yamahas electronic iggy. (Transistor Controlled Ignition). It was fired from the alternator rotor (crank triggered). Since your original rotor is gone, there's an electronic iggy (aftermarket) under the left cam cover. Unless the PMA also has the iggy with it. Vape maybe?

TCI. What Yamaha called "Transistor Controlled Ignition". Electronic ignition. No ATU Automatic Timing Unit) in the Rt cam end housing, no shaft in the cam and no points in the left cam end housing. Original Alternator had a black oval housing about 1:30 position and the rotor had a small magnet outside of the contact rings. The brains were in a plastic box under the battery..

Left cover, not the right.
TCI was Yamahas electronic iggy. (Transistor Controlled Ignition). It was fired from the alternator rotor (crank triggered). Since your original rotor is gone, there's an electronic iggy (aftermarket) under the left cam cover. Unless the PMA also has the iggy with it. Vape maybe?
Edit, I'm unaware if this ignition system needs a harness going to both cams, that's what I meant when I said there wasn't any going right.

Last edited:
Edit, I'm unaware if this ignition system needs a harness going to both cams, that's what I meant when I said there wasn't any going right.
Is this for JUST the electric start? If I'm unable to get it working can it be bypassed?

Your ignition system is what fires your sparkplugs. No, it can't be bypassed and has nothing to do with the starter.

Just the left...
I'm going to rip some stuff apart tomorrow, from what I remember it looks the pamcopete model, from an image found elsewhere on the forums.
I have no experience with making engines run, all my work has been in vehicle suspension and braking. This bike is a learning experience, I appreciate yall taking the time to give your input.

Just the left...
Looks like you are exactly right
20191225_001328.jpg
20191225_001343.jpg

Working on a new to you XS650 isn't so much finding problems, as it is doing a thorough maintenance. As you go through system after system verifying and correcting for proper action and function, the problems diminish as if by magic. Usually after several days to a week of off and on work and replacing parts, maintenance items as needed, you will have a running bike. Then a couple months of operation and improvements will have you a cool bike you can depend on to ride anywhere.
In general any "found in the back of the garage" bike will need 100 hours of educated labor and $1,000 to run well and reliably.
One that died of a major crash, major mechanical failure, or has extremely high miles, is probably not a parts, labor required, viable project.

Last edited:
Working on a new to you XS650 isn't so much finding problems, as it is doing a thorough maintenance. As you go through system after system verifying and correcting for proper action and function, the problems diminish as if by magic. Usually after several days to a week of off and on work and replacing parts, maintenance items as needed, you will have a running bike. Then a couple months of operation and improvements will have you a cool bike you can depend on to ride anywhere.
In general any "found in the back of the garage" bike will need 100 hours of educated labor and $1,000 to run well and reliably.
One that died of a major crash, major mechanical failure, or has extremely high miles, is probably not a parts, labor required, viable project.
Then I cant wait to start the maintenance, the wire harness cant get here soon enough

the wire harness cant get here soon enough
Yeah, and hope the Haynes manual shows up at the same time. If it's anything like the Clymer manual, it'll have good schematics for you to follow (model year specific). And if the MikesXs harness is color-coded correctly (glitch?), it should go well. Keep in mind also, being an '82 (late in the series), it's gonna have a lot of "lawyer switches" that you may or may not want to keep. If you chose to delete them, or do a bypass, check the schematic to determine whether it needs to be 'open' (switch off) or 'shorted' (switch on), and do so neatly, without cutting anything. A future owner (could happen...) may want to reactivate those features...
P.S. Did I mention there's lots of people here willing to help and answer any questions? :laugh:

Yeah, and hope the Haynes manual shows up at the same time. If it's anything like the Clymer manual, it'll have good schematics for you to follow (model year specific). And if the MikesXs harness is color-coded correctly (glitch?), it should go well. Keep in mind also, being an '82 (late in the series), it's gonna have a lot of "lawyer switches" that you may or may not want to keep. If you chose to delete them, or do a bypass, check the schematic to determine whether it needs to be 'open' (switch off) or 'shorted' (switch on), and do so neatly, without cutting anything. A future owner (could happen...) may want to reactivate those features...
P.S. Did I mention there's lots of people here willing to help and answer any questions? :laugh:
I'm hoping all that I need to do is plug everything in, as most of the components have plugs, and are "functional"
the odometer says something like 30k miles

Since parts so easily swap, it can be difficult sometimes to positively identify the year and model. An '82 was kinda blacked out. The forks were black along with the cylinder fins and carbs. You have the blacked out forks but your motor and carbs aren't black. You also have a pull knob for the choke on the carbs, '82 carbs had a cable running to a little lever on the handlebar. Your non-black engine and carbs are saying '81 model. Sometimes titles are wrong if the bike was sold as a leftover a few years after it was actually built.

Since parts so easily swap, it can be difficult sometimes to positively identify the year and model. An '82 was kinda blacked out. The forks were black along with the cylinder fins and carbs. You have the blacked out forks but your motor and carbs aren't black. You also have a pull knob for the choke on the carbs, '82 carbs had a cable running to a little lever on the handlebar. Your non-black engine and carbs are saying '81 model. Sometimes titles are wrong if the bike was sold as a leftover a few years after it was actually built.
Ah well cant be helped now, just gonna let it ride as long as it all works. Very possible it was all black, and the po took the coating off. Its heavily tarnished

Back