$100 1982 Yamaha Heritage Special

Bumping this for input, I'm missing the rear bung to hold the gas tank in place, as well as the rubber bushings. my gas tank doesn't line up with the hole in the frame, does it look like the factory tank for a 1982 heritage special?

my gas tank doesn't line up with the hole in the frame,
Give us a pic? Shouldn't be a hole there. Should be a stud sticking up. Holes in the tab on the gas tank.
And yeah.... looks like the correct tank.

Give us a pic? Shouldn't be a hole there. Should be a stud sticking up. Holes in the tab on the gas tank.
And yeah.... looks like the correct tank.
It took me lile 45 minutes but I found a picture of the original mount aaaand:
20191226_210918_001.jpg
PO cut the original mount off.
I suppose I could fabri-cobble something together if I'm unable to find a ready made weld-on mount. He cut it off for set fitment, I'd assume

The PO cut the original brace out and replaced it with a different one. It should be welded to the top of the tubes, not down in 'em...
That bracket also is the forward mount for the seat.

sss.jpg

Untitledb.png

1980 and up to match your frame and correct rear clamp type seat. If the seat type doesn't matter, then any 74 and up should be fine.
The seat isn't factory by any means, there doesn't appear to be a way to hold it down, either.
I suppose I just need that part.
Doesn't seem like it would be too hard to make this, it's a plate and a bolt, at the very least. I'll put a wanted ad up either way

C
Doesn't seem like it would be too hard to make this, it's a plate and a bolt, at the very least.
It's just a little more involved. There's a 90° bend and a couple square holes involved.... but yeah, entirely doable if you're used to working with steel sheet. Let me know if you go that route and I'll give ya some detailed pics and measurements.

C

It's just a little more involved. There's a 90° bend and a couple square holes involved.... but yeah, entirely doable if you're used to working with steel sheet. Let me know if you go that route and I'll give ya some detailed pics and measurements.
My bike it missing it's seat and seat latch, I'd assume he cut the mount off to fit this one, the 90° bend and the holes are unneeded do to that. I've worked with 1/8th inch sheet steel for trailer repair, and I've got access to a bender that'll put that 90 in it, in any case.
I'd highly appreciate the measurements as we are slow at work and I've got about 8 hours a day to piddle away. For now I'm fixing my trailer, I had to cut a bunch of steel off it to get the bike in and home.
~ash

You're certainly in for an adventure but perseverance will eventually get you down the road on a fun bike. This is where an unmolested stock non running spare bike - '80 through '83 - would be invaluable, considering you're a novice to the XS650........ Just thinking about my first non runner and then picking up a trashed parts bike for under a hundred bucks out of the hills of eastern Kentucky, good gawd........that trashed bike paid for itself many times over in parts and was a great point of reference as to how things were supposed to be, sans the bailing twine and carb throttle stop formed out of JB Weld..........

Here's some pics of my '82. The 81-83 bikes had a shove-in-and-push-down seat mechanism with an ugly, cumbersome latch that looks like has been removed from your bike. Mine still has it.
Tape measure in one hand while trying to take pics with a tablet in the other leads to questionable photo quality .... that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! Anyway, hope these help.
20191227_150112.jpg
20191227_150033.jpg
20191227_145743.jpg
20191227_145717.jpg
20191227_145640.jpg
20191227_145540.jpg
20191227_145534.jpg
20191227_145450.jpg
20191227_145434.jpg
20191227_145406.jpg
20191227_145335_001.jpg

Here's some pics of my '82. The 81-83 bikes had a shove-in-and-push-down seat mechanism with an ugly, cumbersome latch that looks like has been removed from your bike. Mine still has it.
Tape measure in one hand while trying to take pics with a tablet in the other leads to questionable photo quality .... that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! Anyway, hope these help.
Good pics. I still can't get good contrast even in daylight. Mind if I borrow yours.... :rolleyes:

post.jpg

Back