1976 Tracker Build

jsmith1107

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok guys, I am in the process of purchasing a 1976 650. The bike has been disassembled and parts have been purchased to make it a tracker. The engine runs good so not worried about that. The guy has purchased all of the Omar stuff except the tank. He purchased another tank for a 650 that is basically immaculate and I plan on using it. He also has the half mile pipes from Omars. He has about $700 in parts into it. I am also buying from the same person a 1977 650 that is complete and just needs a little work to take it back to original.

As a pair, and yes I don't have pics but you would have to take my word on shape, but they both look good and both run---one needs restoration and the other needs to be painted, reassembled, etc. What do you think you would pay for the pair?

Thanks,
Jeff

Here is a picture of the 77. Thinking about cleaning this bike and selling it but not sure, thoughts? I have the 76 with all the parts to make it a tracker.

Attachments

• photo 1~2.jpg
    photo 1~2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 370
On the 77...........If it is cleaned up, brakes work, electrics are good, (rotor/Stator), and it runs well, (good compression), and depending on mileage, (high=new cam chain, top end work), it could be worth $2000.00 or more.

Depends on the area, the way bikes have been priced lately in some places, and it seems they are selling, (spring fever), more could be more

Finally an update. Sold the 77 model and it was shipped in a large crate to Australia with a bunch of other ones. Seems the Aussies have a large appetite for the bikes! I have started the process finally---bought the 19" rear wheel conversion kit from Jim Henry and have also swapped spoke wheels for mags so I can put 19" on front and rear. I also was able to find a good radian swingarm with all the necessary parts at a local scrapyard--$great price too! I just got home all excited and thinking this would be the start of something big but when I looked at the frame the guy sold me---noticed it is for a drum brake and the mag takes the disk. I already asked 5Twins this and going to ask if anyone has done it---take a drum frame and convert to a disc frame to hold the parts necessary. When I was looking at them at the scrapyard it just looked as thought it would take some minor parts getting welded on the frame. Or am I wrong?

Attachments

• radian.jpg
    radian.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 230
  • radian2.jpg
    radian2.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 216
What frame? do you mean the swingarm? If so all Radians have drum brakes. simple change, Cut the brake stay off the bottom and weld it on the top.Look in my thread.

My frame itself was built for a brake drum and doesnt have the mounts for the master cylinder, etc. I have mags like your for my tracker and they use discs.

You will have to make custom mounts for a master cylinder, and go from there. Search tracker threads. Plenty have been built using the standard frame and added a rear disc. The standard frame rear shock mount are farther back This makes the shocks stand up straighter. That is one way to tell what the frame type is, along with the 2 small tubes welded to the right frame rail upright.

Look through allthe various trackers on this site. You might get some idea's.
http://www.650motorcycles.com/photopost650/showgallery.php?cat=503

Last edited:
Thx a lot Dave! I have found other threads as well. 5twins made a good point on something and means I will be going back to that scrapyard again nexr week to pick up the back pedal pivot as I forgot it. Hey, its a learning process right? I think I will just take the sawzall and get every bracket on that salvage bike!

Motorcycle graveyard again today. Found all my parts needed for the back disc brake I will be putting on my Tracker. I even took my battery powered sawzall and cut off all the brackets I could that I would need for the disc brake. The only one that I didn't cut off of course was the master cylinder brackets---I will just fashion those myself. I might even do the other ones if they don't look right--we will see. I picked up like 4 of certain things---just to make sure they work. All of this for $75. They also sell complete motorcycles there and found this nice TY250--this might be my next project--love the looks of those.

Dave,
I also found a front headlight mask--kind of like the one you have--I like that look!

Attachments

• TY250.jpg
    TY250.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 335
  • junkyard.jpg
    junkyard.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 291
  • finds.jpg
    finds.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 278
  • junkyard2.jpg
    junkyard2.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 254
Working on back brake conversion from drum to disc. Thanks Dave for giving me the links. If anyone is interested, pregrid and streettracker both have great threads on how to do this. http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21617 and http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7059. One question I did have for either one of those guys is---how did you work the brake lever stop on the bottom of the bike. The drum one does not fit up well so won't work---I assume you just ground off the one that is on the frame and welded a new one on? I also assume you ground off the tubing that was used to hold on the drum brake switch and remounted one for the other brake switch for the disk?

Attachments

• back brake mount.jpg
    back brake mount.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 225
  • back brake mount2.jpg
    back brake mount2.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 226
Jeff, Yes I ground off the stop for the brake adjustment bolt, and the return spring. You have to weld a new tab for the brake bolt stop adjuster and and new tab for the spring. I don't have any real good picture you can make heads or tails of to help you but I think my brake adjuster tab was welled to the back side of the ugly plate that the swing arm mounts through, and my spring return tab was on the bottom cross bar of the frame. As far as brake light switch I was going with a hydraulic switch right off of the master cylinder not a mechanical unit. Stick with it just get under there and see where you need your brake stop adjuster bolt and you will see you can weld a tab to the side and a spring straight down to the cross bar.

I plan on resurrecting my thread as where I started with kind of old school stock type of street tracker has now transformed with a lot of modern influence. She went on a serious diet and I connected with a lot of my old racing buddies I have a lot of fast stuff for my build now.

Early Christmas present for myself--a beautiful Champion fiberglass tank from Randy at Gopher Glass!! I love it!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    262.3 KB · Views: 220
Was able to get some work done this weekend at my dad's farm in North Dakota---welded on parts to convert the frame from a drum to disc brake. Also was able to get the brake stay holder welded to my Radian swingarm.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 213
  • FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 239
Early Christmas present for myself--a beautiful Champion fiberglass tank from Randy at Gopher Glass!! I love it!
jsmith, what did that tank cost you? I'm looking for a tank and fender for my project
1975 XS650. Did you have to do any body work to it? Is it coated with something to protect it? Sorry for all the questions I'm new to this and I want to get a good tank and fender for my bike. I am also looking at Omars fiberglass company, any thoughts?

Back