1980 Bobber Build on Mr. Lucky's Frame

The good thing about welding is that if you have a shaky hand it actually helps:D
Just gotta keep your speed constant and watch the width of your weld. Keep the puddle width consistent and they will start looking like proper welds in no time.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the words of encouragement! Only one way to learn. :D

Kent

A little more practice today. A bit better...

SDC12153.jpg

Kent

lookin better already! once ya get that down you should start to play with Tig, and oxy acetylene, they both take a little more finesse, but definitely more enjoyable to do (in my opinion) keep up the practice you'll have it down in no time.

lookin better already! once ya get that down you should start to play with Tig, and oxy acetylene, they both take a little more finesse, but definitely more enjoyable to do (in my opinion) keep up the practice you'll have it down in no time.

Thanks! I'll be happy if I can make consistent MIG welds with good penetration. I'd love to learn more, but I just don't have the garage space (or money) for much more equipment right now.

Kent

Think about what is going above the battery box. I had one I worked on that someone slapped together and put a false oil tank above it. The battery couldn't be lifted out unless you took half the wiring apart then the oil tank off. I think he smoked more then his bike did.

Think about what is going above the battery box. I had one I worked on that someone slapped together and put a false oil tank above it. The battery couldn't be lifted out unless you took half the wiring apart then the oil tank off. I think he smoked more then his bike did.

Good point! I'm going to try to keep the electrics box as far back as possible to prevent that scenario. :thumbsup:

Kent

Mounted the tank. Front mount I drilled a hole through the gusset, then used steel spacers to take up the difference. I put grommets through all the mounting tabs and all hardware is stainless.

SDC12180.jpg

SDC12179.jpg

SDC12182.jpg

Rear mounts were drilled and tapped into the backbone. Rubber grommets on the tab holes here too.

SDC12177.jpg

Got the new petcock today as well. Finally pointing in the right direction. :thumbsup:

SDC12175.jpg

SDC12176.jpg

Kent

I'd leave the rubber out and solidly mount the tank. Those grommets won't last. What's the threaded hole in the frame tube above the front tank mount?

That's the tank mounts that were included on the frame. I don't like the height or closeness to the bars on those, so I'm going to have to grind them off.

Kent

Why would you weld the mounting tabs on the tank to the outside instead of inside or just on the seam?

I've got some parts in the works coming from a couple different vendors. Pipes and a hand tooled seat. That's been eating a bit of my budget lately, along with all the Christmas shopping. I'm also in the process of getting my V-Star painted. Had to get the tank plastic blasted to remove the factory pinstripe that was under the clear coat. Dropped the tins off to the painter, and discussed paint for the XS a bit. He let me borrow some color sample books, so we're looking through those now. Hopefully, I'll post some pics of the seat later today. Thanks for keeping tabs on my slow progress!

Kent

Why would you weld the mounting tabs on the tank to the outside instead of inside or just on the seam?

Are you referring to the rear mounting tabs on the tank? If so, that's where the tabs were at, and I'm not really confident enough in my welding skills yet to cut them off and weld a new one back on.

Kent

Back