1980 Rootbeer Bobber

got some JBM parts in: carb holders and diaphragms. Great quality and seem to be WELL worth it. i recommend them. I'm putting the diaphragms in the 34's I'm selling to another member here and I'll use the holders on my EX carbs.

got my wheels painted too, just need to do the finish clear coat in a day or two once the basecoat is fully cured. just non-stop work on the bike it seems!!

AND just ordered my DIY VI brat kit... Now I need to make up some "spacers" to simulate my shocks (11.4" Hagons, still need to order) compressed and uncompressed and then some tires (100/90-19 avon Roadriders front and rear) and I should be able to move forward to getting the frame finished up.

Still need to start de-tabbing everything, but I think i'm going to finish up my wheels, carbs and forks before then.

Well i forgot to order the stainless clamps from JBM when I placed the order, so I'm either going to re-order some from him or source similar clamps elsewhere. I'd like to get something that won't dig into the rubber much. I also found these as a more expensive option and they're black which would look pretty good: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-00-Stealth-Clamps-1-Pc-Black-Stainless-Steel-Worm-Gear-Hose-Clamp-Liner-/131115036017?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e8710ad71

I'll probably get some JBM stainless ones as his prices are really good and i like the stainless on black look better.

I got the JBM Stainless wormscrew hose clamps, with the protective 'overlapping' design of the band.
But, I'd like to find wide, non-worm, overlap clamps.
full

I installed the diaphragms in the 34's I'm rebuilding for a member here and they are very nice quality, and pretty darn simple to install.

I considered getting them for my EX-500 carbs, but I don't see the need as of yet.

The regular non sleeved work no problems digging in if you don't over tighten. The light weight PWK carbs don't need a gorilla grip to hold them.

SO just got word back from a local machine shop. Seems they can do all the measuring I need but they don't work on XS cranks. Still waiting on a reason for that and a potential recommendation for a shop that can.

So my other resort now, is to send it to Hugh for rebuild and weld, or see if someone here on the forums would like to take some of my money. Any takers???

Yes. In Winnipeg Manitoba. I supplied rods and the charged me under 200 cdn to do the work and true No weld though. I had a friend lightly tig the rod pins. But I don't see much rpm past 6000.

I was hoping to find a shop to inspect the crank, reset the counterweights on the pins and true it up.

i have a welder at work who could throw a few flat tacks on the outside when I'm done. I just need to find a shop now. I'd actually rather use a member on here, especially if the shop has no XS experience...

Sent my crank to Dirty Dog who is going to inspect and fix it (if it needs it). Prices were great, but shipping certainly sucked...

Trying to get a Twins-Inn cam chain tensioner ordered, but they're hard to get a reply from.

Going to order some turn signals soon too. Fronts: http://www.harrisonspecialties.com/black-anodized-mini-bullet-housings-with-amber-leds/ Rears: http://www.harrisonspecialties.com/...k-anodized-two-light-oval-housings-red-amber/ All the "bulbs" are dual "filament", so I can have a clean twin brake light and have decent turn signals with running lights. Can't be too safe, even with a slimmed down bobber.

Also ordered my paint: Testors Root Beer Brown:
DSC02179.jpg

I'll let this out-gas for awhile (1 or 2 days) and then apply a spray 2k clear. should be nice and protected without worry of delamination between the laquer and urethane clear. any thoughts??

Did you like it??? I think this color will be just right for the beautiful deep color and some old-skool sparkle!! It's going to suck having to use 3 oz. spray paint cans though!!!

Let's just hope the cans spray evenly and consistently and the clear plays nicely!

Any pics of your old truck?

just ordered a set of cole foster grips in mocha. should compliment the root beer and polished accents nicely.

Attachments

• 81JtAacd4AL._SL1500_.jpg
    81JtAacd4AL._SL1500_.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 184
Just finished rebuilding my BS34's for a fellow member. JBM diaphragms, machined fuel tee, new throttle shaft seals, stainless hardware, new gaskets, canadian needles and tubes, all new internal hardware and gaskets. Fully soda blasted and ultrasonic cleaned. I sure hope he likes em!!

Attachments

• 20150223_210523.jpg
    20150223_210523.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 227
  • 20150223_210542.jpg
    20150223_210542.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 194
  • 20150223_210548.jpg
    20150223_210548.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 206
  • 20150223_210602.jpg
    20150223_210602.jpg