1st Gear - Broken Tooth

Viper

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought my first gear was broken. First gear would work, but would clank abit.

I pulled the engine apart, and lo and behold first is broken.

Does anyone have any recommendations to source out a new gear?

Will any other bike's gear fit as a replacement?

My xs is a 78 special, which i've heard has different gears then the earlier models. Is the difference the 2 lines on the top of the gear teeth?

Attachments

• IMG_4113 s.JPG
    IMG_4113 s.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_4119 s.JPG
    IMG_4119 s.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 270
Looks like a later trans with the groves across the tops of the teeth...(if I am seeing it correctly from the picture)..not sure a older trans gear will mesh properly.....might should stay with a later 78+ replacement.......ebay whatever..............xsjohn

It says 72-84 ......guess that the trans modification on the later models didn't include 1st gear.........wondered about that........xsjohn

Go on line to a site that gives the part numbers......OEM Yamaha Parts ect......and check the early numbers as compared to the later numbers..........try this site or others for the part numbers......click on OEM yamaha parts......this site I use may have the part numbers assoiciated with the parts.....xsjohn

http://www.stadiumyamaha.com/

That's excellent. First gear remained the same over the years, the other gear wheels changed.

Why did they add the grooves? Less Noise?

You are good to go if the #'s match........The grooves across the top of the gears just marked the gears that were changed so you would know...78+...think it was the pitch of the teeth as an improvement in noise I would guess....many have commented that they couldn't tell the difference between transmissions....who knows.......?

xsjohn

Ebay usually has complete transmissions at reasonable prices, just swap out a complete tranny. That way all the gears will mesh right. And if you get a late model tranny you can put Mike's new 5th gear in. A few less revs at cruise speed.

Back