Adding a magnet to early rotor

MicahBearden

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, so a couple months ago i bought a 1982 xs650 from my boss (i work at a very small motorcycle shop outside of Atlanta) the bike cosmetically was a little off, but it ran amazing. Only about 9000 miles and started first kick everytime. I came to realize this week that my rotor is bad, i was unaware of the horrible charging system on the xs, but now thanks to this forum i know all about it haha

We have a spare engine at the shop with a great rotor on it but it is an early model rotor without the magnet. I have seen people talk about adding additional magnets (people seem to really like the powerful rare-earth magnets from radio shack) to there late model rotors and a few people question if a magnet could be added to an early model one but i couldn't really find anyone who claims to have successfully done it. I know that just going the PMA route would be best but i really cant afford it.

Does anyone have any insight on if a magnet can be added to an earlier rotor, or if there is anyway to make it work with the TCI ignition bikes?

Thanks so much.
-Micah

No reason you can't add a magnet to an early rotor, especially since you have a pattern right at hand. Like the real estate agent said it's location location location. Do be sure to check the magnet height so it has proper clearance from the pick ups.
Please refrain from calling the original system horrible. It performs and is as reliable as most other motorcycle charging systems. They are 30 or 40 years old now, so some allowance for age and PO abuse should be made. If you go ahead with this please take pics and show us how it goes?

My apologies Gary, i was a little frustrated after being up for a long time working on it last night. Im going to pick up some magnets today and give it a go. I will definitely take pictures and let everyone know how it goes.

On Amazon you can find 1/4 diameter X 1/16 thickness which is a perfect match in the rare earth magnets. A little pricey.
I've made a template from a TCI rotor for placement using the timing marks as a reference. The magnet has been JB welded into position on the early style rotor but hasn't been tested yet......guess I could swap it out to one of my runners for laughs but the bike it's going to be installed into is still in the wiring stage.

I did that, added magnet to an early rotor. The bike ran ok but wouldn't charge unless I reversed the polarity of the rotor, swapped the brown and green wires at the brushes. Charged fine then, Just don't understand why.
Leo

I did that, added magnet to an early rotor. The bike ran ok but wouldn't charge unless I reversed the polarity of the rotor, swapped the brown and green wires at the brushes. Charged fine then, Just don't understand why.
Leo

Leo you dont happen to have any pictures do you? What sort of adhesive did you use to attach the magnet to the rotor?

Thanks

No pics. I drilled a hole in the right place and "glued" it in place with JB Weld.
Leo

Back