ADDING FLASHER need HELP to ID STOCK BITS

ANLAF

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I want to add flashers, and I have a wiring diagram which shows a flasher unit (I will pick one up from eBay) but two other items just labelled switches on the diagrams I have seen. I presume one of the switches refers to the handlebar set-up, but what is th eother one.

Is it one of these beauties?

Anlaf

APOLOGIES
Upload of photos has gone weird on me. I will add in following posts.

Try again with photos - here are 3 of 6

Anlaf

Attachments

• IMG_7867.jpg
    IMG_7867.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7864.jpg
    IMG_7864.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7862.jpg
    IMG_7862.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 72
And here are the second 3 of 6.

(these are not off my bike, but from my box of bits).

Anlaf

Attachments

• IMG_7860.jpg
    IMG_7860.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7859.jpg
    IMG_7859.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7858.jpg
    IMG_7858.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 62
Are you using the stock handlebar turn signal switch? Stock or LED turn signals. If you are using stock signals, all you need is a common 2 prong flasher (#552). Connect a switched 12V to the X terminal and the brown/white from the bar switch goes to the L terminal on the flasher. The dark green (right signal) and chocolate brown (left) coming out of the bar switch go to the positive wires on the signals. The other signal wires need to be grounded. If you are using LED signals the flasher needs to be rated for LED use (552 won't work)

I have no stock items. The photos are from my bits box.

I know I need a flasher unit - 2 or 3 prong?

Is there anything I can use for a switch at the handlebars?

I know about resisters needed.

anlaf

Anlaf it looks to me like you have parts from other bikes thrown in the box.
An example is the first shot a nine pin connecter.
Go to jayels album and have a look at the schematics.
There are no 9 pin plugs.
And say the number of pins/spades is the same then you would look to see if the plug configuration is the same. Some are rectangles some are square. Some have curved notches and some angled notches.
Very few of the plugs are made so you can put the wrong part in the right place.
The one exception that comes to mind is mixing the TDI with the voltage regulator.
But then the wire colors should say, Don't do this.
Now if your wiring harness is custom. . . . . you can do what ever works for you.

What's a TDI? Never heard of it.
All those bits in your box of extras isn't needed. For a flasher get the LF1-S-flat flasher from www.superbrightleds.com. It will flash just one led or up to 150 watts of led and regular bulbs.
It comes with the wires in a plastic plug body. Remove the wires from the plastic. This leaves two flat blades. These will plug into any flasher socket or any wires with a female spade connector.
Hook the red wire to power after the main switch. On a stock harness the brown wire of the socket. The black wire goes to the center terminal on the turn switch. On a stock bike the brown/white wire.
If your turn signal indicater on the dash is one bulb you will need diodes to get it to work.
A search on here will find diagrams on how to.
Leo

Thanks feller - and weekendrider, much appreciated, but we have to bow to superior knowledge - in the end it's just great that you guys get on the forum and offer help to others.

XSLeo I have nothing in place yet (thanks for the link), and no handlebar switch of any kind - is there one that I could go for, a generic switch somewhere? Make one?

Anlaf

and weekendrider, much appreciated, but we have to bow to superior knowledge
Anlaf

Yo Anlaf, no problem. Leo likes to bust my balls every chance he gets.
I glad to know that my knowledge is inferior. It will save me from answering any of your future posts.

Almost forgot. Searching Ebay or most any of the after market sellers like Dennis Kirk, J&P, Drag Specialities. You can find many options for turn switches.
Leo

ANLAF, The connecter in your first pic is the light checker, they were on the 78E/79SF-Special ll and 80/G.

Probably not needed if your wiring is custom and they can most likely be bypassed, maybe someone with more electrical knowledge can help with that.

Back