And for my next trick ....

Skull, I cheated.

Better living thru chemistry...
GinkoSmart.jpg

Nighthog, be careful where you put the filter. I originally put it between the carbs but when it blocked out on a ride I could not access it. I tried various other positions but if the fuel pipes or filter are exposed to too much heat the fuel starts to bubble with the risk of vapor locks. The fuel in the UK starts to bubble at about 40 Celsius. I finally settled on a position with easy access - See Entry 3890 in the following:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/what-have-you-done-to-your-xs-today.32082/page-195

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Getting there. Some creative bodgery was needed to fix the exhausts in place, but that can be improved upon later.

20190216_170727.jpg 20190216_171043.jpg 20190216_170654.jpg
Naturally, I HAD to fire her up. Sounds wonderful! Pity that the (new) float needle on the LH carb stuck open and pissed petrol but a sharp tap fixed that. And the excess everywhere will evaporate ...

Now, I really need to do something about that seat. But at least I have a rideable bike in the meantime :D

Getting there. Some creative bodgery was needed to fix the exhausts in place, but that can be improved upon later.

View attachment 135179 View attachment 135180 View attachment 135181
Naturally, I HAD to fire her up. Sounds wonderful! Pity that the (new) float needle on the LH carb stuck open and pissed petrol but a sharp tap fixed that. And the excess everywhere will evaporate ...

Now, I really need to do something about that seat. But at least I have a rideable bike in the meantime :D

Looking good! I think we need to hear that exhaust!

View attachment 135179 View attachment 135180 View attachment 135181

that looks gorgeous. I love the bars and wheels . So much work has gone into that ......I now feel guilty and ashamed that I've let my bike go so badly over the past few years.
You must be very proud of what you have achieved . Hope we get to hear the engine sometime.;)

I have the same seat on mine and hate it every time I see it but although I have been meaning to fit a standard seat I have held off because the stepped seat gives a great support to the lumbar when riding

The missus said I smelt of beer and petrol. I couldn't argue with that but I certainly felt proud :D
Link to something involving noise to follow ... not now as I think the neighbours might complain at midnight! Too much salt on the road yet to go for a ride but sounds will surely follow. When I'm not full of wine. Think I'd better stop now .....

Well, no soundtrack sorted out yet, but in the interim I've put some miles on the old girl including a long day's thrash round some favourite Welsh twisties. This has highlighted that the handling is now better than I could have hoped for and 5twins' suggestion in another thread (http://www.xs650.com/threads/jims-1980-sg-restoration-and-yeah-a-few-mods.50545/page-66#post-587676) that with 145 main jets I could be overjetted was, of course correct:
20190518_160734.jpg

I've now fitted 142.5s and on a brief test ride, once properly up to temperature, it feels so much better, pulling hard and cleanly at higher revs. I also have a pair of 140s to try but I'll keep to these for a while to get used to the feel before trying them.

Front end sharpened up with a bit of chrome (thanks, OHRider!)
20190518_160851.jpg

Other distractions have been sorting out a carburation problem with my DRZ400 and fettling my paraffin gear ready for camping trips - two Tilley lamps and two stoves now working and not leaking so I'm happy. I like keeping old stuff up and running :D

blimey ...you went across the water into the land of Dragons ? :eek:

the bike looks great ...can't wait to see a video of one of your rides. ;)
I must sort out my handling soon if I am to get to do some longer rides this Summer.

Peanut, it is free to cross to the land of dragons now that the Severn Bridge toll has been dropped. Just a pitty the M4 and M5 are so busy in South Wales/Bristol area.

yes but how many never return lol.;)

Its been a long long time since I have been anywhere near Bristol . I worked in St Pauls for a year as a Surveyor and it was a challenging daily commute from home in Merriott. I think my best time was less than 40 minutes.

I bet Wales would be a fantastic ride out or tour. Its something that would definitely be on my bucket list:):bike:

Looking good Nighthog...........can't fix a standard seat without adding hinges.........

Did a mock up on my Special pan.....Cut the raised end and added the lip off the end to the cut pan, trimmed the sides so they didn't slope as much. That was because i set up for the earlier 78/79 side covers and they don't slope as much as the plastic ones.
P1160001.JPG P1160068.jpg

you went across the water into the land of Dragons ?
Yup, and I did more than that, I married one :laugh2:

Thanks Skull - I'm thinking along the same lines. I have a spare seat pan but have only got as far as taking pics, so I can print and do some pencil and paper fiddling. I think this will take a while to sort out.

Well, since this is the nearest thing I've got to a build thread, I thought it time for an update. This winter's work has been about sorting out the looks - once I get it into a shape I'm happy with I'll do a ground-up build to get the paint and any other details right, but I'm in no hurry to do that as I'm enjoying riding it too much.

This is where I've got to:
20200102_204415.jpg

20200102_204953.jpg

The rearsets are lovely but present their own problem as I've noted in another thread and now they're adjusted the problem remains:

20200102_204542.jpg

20200102_204736.jpg

But hey, it now looks so much better than the ugly duckling it started out as! Thanks to Bushyeyed1 for your help with the seat :)
Next jobs are to fit the nice front hub cover in the foreground of the 2nd pic (thanks, Beags!), replacing the black plastic thing and to fit the Halcyon bar-end mirrors, a birthday present from the missus. And to put my now rather greasy 70's Yamaha gilet through the wash!

20200102_205827.jpg

Happy New Year, all. Cheers -
Cliff

Time for an update. All the fun & games with the kickstart are noted here, but I've now fitted a nice chrome rear mudguard/fender - thanks to Jim for supplying me with it. I did the underside care as per Jim's method which ended up looking like this once I'd fitted the tail lamp:
20200227_181024.jpg

Today I couldn't wait any longer and took the old girl out to stretch her legs. This is just before leaving:
20200311_171605.jpg
20200311_171633.jpg

Those Tarozzi pegs are bloody high! And I'm not quite as flexible as I used to be ... So I think my next job will be to find a way to lower them an inch or two. I have some ideas that will involve replacing those rather nice Fast From The Past mounting plates while keeping all the rest of the bits & pieces. Maybe it's time I built a workbench in my garage!
And I need to do something with the pipe from the reed valve breather, but can't think what. There's not much room to mount anything while the battery box is still there. It's a bit :poo: but there's no rush so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it :shrug:

Nearly forgot - thanks to Bushy for supplying the seat! Another top man.
Cheers all -
Cliff

Back