Any brewers out there?

I've been using the Mr Beer system for about ten years. Not complicated by any means, and not time consuming. Also a small investment to get started. You can stick to basic recipies or get creative by adding different hops, etc. While not a "purist" homebrew system it is easy and you get consistently good beers. Check out the web site www.mrbeer.com for more info. You can order from the web so If you're not near a local supplier you cna still brew your own.

I have a Mr. Beer kit I bought at a yard sale several years ago, never did anything with it. Apparently, never had the original owner. Still has the sealed can of beer-makins with it. I wounder if that stuff would still be any good, or is it probably ng by now?

I'm guessing it's in a tin can... open it up and taste it (assuming the can isn't bulging or suspect in any way). It should be a sweet syrup, maybe with some hops flavor. If it tastes OK, try to make beer with it... if there's any doubt, don't, and get new supplies.

Thanks, zymurgist. Makes sense. Reckon I'll give it a go.

I got a question about temperature -- assuming a Mr. Beer rig -- is room temperature cool enough? Say between 72F and 75F or so? I don't have a cooler nearly big enough to store the brew.

Are you asking about fermentation or about storing the finished product? Ale yeasts will work OK at 72-75, although fermentation does produce some heat so the temperature may rise a bit. Only downside is off-flavors, but I find that most yeast flavors give my beers character. If you're asking about storage, it depends on whether you like warm beer. I find that IPA is drinkable t almost any temperature, but I tend to like it hoppy. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

cooltouch,
More than likely the yeast that comes with the Mr Beer could be expired. There is a date printed it. The canned portions should be okay if it doesn't smell spoiled. It may smell sort like a clump of wet grass and dirt and like zymurgist said may be sweet, could be somewhat bitter. As long as the can is not deformed or compromised it should be ok. When I brew I use an ale yeast (top fermenting) and keep the fermenter in my pantry at room tempurature...around 70 in my house. Generally the wort stays in the keg for at least one week, maybe two depending on the ingredients, then I bottle. After a week in the bottle secondary fermentation takes place and your beer is carbonated. It will be ok to drink will not have "aged" and developed its "flavors". It will have a yeasty taste..the longer you age the better the beer will taste and the yeasty taste will decrease. I store my bottles in my basement which is usually 50 to 55 all year round. Good Luck

I just (Sat)had 6 pints of my mates home-brewed Hobgoblin & Bishops Finger, strewth that stuff was far more potent it must've been at least 6-7% proof & approx £1 a pint compared to the same-brand pint in my local pub at around 5% & £3.20 !
Colonic irrigation for free .....:wink2:
I might have to take up home brew again, the kits are far more sophisticated/easier than they were last time I tried it in the late 70's..

For extract brewers, I highly recommend Munton's Extra Pale dry extract. Although dry is kind of a pain to work with compared to liquid extract, I found that I could make pretty decent pale ales with the Munton's dry product. I also went to a full-wort boil as soon as I had a kettle large enough to boil 5 gallons of liquid in (currently using an 8 gallon stainless kettle).

I just (Sat)had 6 pints of my mates home-brewed Hobgoblin & Bishops Finger, strewth that stuff was far more potent it must've been at least 6-7% proof & approx £1 a pint compared to the same-brand pint in my local pub at around 5% & £3.20 !
Colonic irrigation for free .....:wink2:
I might have to take up home brew again, the kits are far more sophisticated/easier than they were last time I tried it in the late 70's..
You need to stop by for my Russian Imperial Stout. Weighs in at 12.7% alcohol. And you are correct, homebrew is actually as good if not better than most commercial beers if you know what you are doing.
:cheers:

Been brewing beer for the last 10 years got to do some bottling tomorrow
Beer any time I LIKE
I LIKE

You live in the state that brews the best beer on the planet

- them thars strong words...widen your horizons a little-have a try of these

- REAL Belgian Pils -the straw gold, mellow brew with a rich maltiness and light aroma from famous Belgian craft brewer, Brasserie de Silly founded in 1853.

- Warsteiner - Germany´s "Premium Verum" (True Premium) lager brewed since 1753 in accordance with The Bavarian Purity Laws of 1516.

- Budvar Budejovicky - the Czech Republic´s original 19th century ultra - smooth premium lager...the original budweiser, before the name got stolen

- Yebisu - Japan´s all - malt beer with the honey malt taste that perfectly complements seafood dishes in general and sushi in particular.

- Oranjeboom - Holland's "Orange Tree" brewery established in 1671 and recently judged the world´s best international lager.

- Pilsner Urquell - the world´s original pilsner and first golden beer created by Joseph Groll in Plzen, Bohemia during 1842.

- Taj Mahal - the international award winning Indian yeast beer that goes perfectly with all things spicy.

- Delirium Tremens - The Belgian golden ale judged "The World´s Best Beer" at The World Beer Championships in Chicago.

- them thars strong words...widen your horizons a little-have a try of these

- REAL Belgian Pils -the straw gold, mellow brew with a rich maltiness and light aroma from famous Belgian craft brewer, Brasserie de Silly founded in 1853.

- Warsteiner - Germany´s "Premium Verum" (True Premium) lager brewed since 1753 in accordance with The Bavarian Purity Laws of 1516.

- Budvar Budejovicky - the Czech Republic´s original 19th century ultra - smooth premium lager...the original budweiser, before the name got stolen

- Yebisu - Japan´s all - malt beer with the honey malt taste that perfectly complements seafood dishes in general and sushi in particular.

- Oranjeboom - Holland's "Orange Tree" brewery established in 1671 and recently judged the world´s best international lager.

- Pilsner Urquell - the world´s original pilsner and first golden beer created by Joseph Groll in Plzen, Bohemia during 1842.

- Taj Mahal - the international award winning Indian yeast beer that goes perfectly with all things spicy.

- Delirium Tremens - The Belgian golden ale judged "The World´s Best Beer" at The World Beer Championships in Chicago.
I have had a few of those, but I guess you prefer the lighter lager type beers. If you can find a bar that serves it, get a driver and try a pint or snifter of the Dogfish head 60 min, 90 min, or if you are a very lucky man the 120 min IPA.120 Minute I.P.A. is by far the biggest I.P.A. ever brewed! At about 18% abv and 120 ibus you can see why I call this beer THE HOLY GRAIL for hopheads! Sip, ponder the delight your taste buds are experiencing, and after a couple more have some one help you to the car and go home for a nice nap!:cheers::bed::bed:
http://www.dogfish.com/

120 Minute IPA

Availability:
Limited

Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45-degree plato, boiled for a full 2 hours while being continuously hopped with high-alpha American hops, then dry-hopped daily in the fermenter for a month & aged for another month on whole-leaf hops!!!

Our 120 Minute I.P.A. is by far the biggest I.P.A. ever brewed! At about 18% abv and 120 ibus you can see why we call this beer THE HOLY GRAIL for hopheads!

We brew 120 Minute IPA three times a year, but it goes fast. If you find some grab a few bottles, some to enjoy and some to age.

Every Beer Has A Story...

Check out our Quick Sip Clip for 120 Minute IPA to see Sam talking about it. In the video, Sam also shows off some of our 'vintage' pieces of brewing equipment - including our 2nd generation continual hopping device, Sir Hops Alot. He also touches on the topic of *why* we dialed the 120 Minute IPA back to 18% abv, some ageing recommendations, and little lesson on the I.B.U. measurement. Enjoy!

-actually i prefer to sip a single malt scotch...if i drink bier i like the darker belgium bottle conditioned varieties..eg

Westvleteren 12...a trappist quad ale...love to visit the monastary and sit in their cafe with one of these...dark, deep and deliciously drinkable

Westvleteren 8...trappist dubbel ale, deep colour, earthy aroma, delicious

St Bernardus Abt 12...dark and fruity although a pretty industrial brewery

- :thumbsup::bike:

Okay, I have another question regarding temperature. Now that summer has set in here in Houston, it's hot outside, and we keep the house's thermostat set to 78F when we have the A/C on. Typically we turn the A/C off when we go to bed, and don't turn it back on until the afternoon when the room temp is up to about 83-84F. This practice keeps the electricity bills manageable.

I don't have any room in my refrigerator for my Mr. Beer kit and we don't have cellars in Houston. Am I SOL, or are there formulations that will work at higher temperatures?

Back