Any brewers out there?

One time I went to a kind of olden days festival at Cumberland Gap, Tn., and there was a guy who was running a still he had set up there, classic style with the copper coil and all. There were these Mason jars of 'shine that he'd run that were sitting on the ground. I asked if he was breaking the law and he said he could make it, but nobody could drink it. I picked up a jar and took a whiff, and man that was the best smelling stuff - an aroma like wine. I wish I'd taken a slug. The one time I did have it, it was pretty bad. It smelled and tasted like the plastic bottle it was in.

Its a reflux distillation apparatus....fer, uh.....vinegar and what not....

100_2416.jpg
I didn't know you played the trombone. :wink2: There is a process where you lower the beer temp until the water freezes then pour off the liquid which is now a really strong beer. Even this is illegal in the US, but if you ever see an Eisbock (Ice bock) buy it and prepare to be amazed. Someday I may break the law and eis one of my lagers.

a while ago i knew a guy in maffra,,australia and i stayed for 3-4 days between moving house,, anyway,, this guys was not easy to get any information out of,, andwith staggered out into his rented laundryat the house he was renting ad BINGO,,,rapped up in 2 old donnas blackets was a 9gal stainless steel keg from a pub,, with copper pipes going to the laundry taps ,,and he was brewing his home made burbon 48% proof which took about 2-2 1/2 weeks and then he would check it with a glass set tube to get the proof and the water it down to 40% drinkable without hurting yourself ,, it was SMOOTH and after a bottle myself ,,no head acre,,,, and apparently in victoria you can brew your own for personnal use... regards oldbiker

a while ago i knew a guy in maffra,,australia and i stayed for 3-4 days between moving house,, anyway,, this guys was not easy to get any information out of,, andwith staggered out into his rented laundryat the house he was renting ad BINGO,,,rapped up in 2 old donnas blackets was a 9gal stainless steel keg from a pub,, with copper pipes going to the laundry taps ,,and he was brewing his home made burbon 48% proof which took about 2-2 1/2 weeks and then he would check it with a glass set tube to get the proof and the water it down to 40% drinkable without hurting yourself ,, it was SMOOTH and after a bottle myself ,,no head acre,,,, and apparently in victoria you can brew your own for personnal use... regards oldbiker

I ask, how can You argue with that?

Back in the 60's and early 70's my Dad made some good lager beer. I took a hit off his glass now and again as I was just a kid at the time. Just a taste you understand. Years later when I was stationed in Germany, I went to the Gasthous and ordered a brew and low and behold it tasted just like Dad's brew! Good times!

I have 2 Mr. Beer kits, but want to switch to doing my own wort.

BTW: We used to grow Burley Big Leaf in Eastern Kentucky. Leaves 12-16 inches wide and up to 30 inches long. Burley is primarily for chewing tobacco, but some cigar makers use it for rolling, as the leaves are so big, but they have to be kiln cured for that. Burley typically hangs for 6-8 weeks to cure in a vented barn before being stripped and stacked, or more and more now, baled. Better watch out growing your own! The Department of Agriculture Bean Police will get you for side-stepping taxes, and upsetting the numbers they use for price support subsidies!

Back