Any brewers out there?

-actually i prefer to sip a single malt scotch...if i drink bier i like the darker belgium bottle conditioned varieties..eg

Westvleteren 12...a trappist quad ale...love to visit the monastary and sit in their cafe with one of these...dark, deep and deliciously drinkable

Westvleteren 8...trappist dubbel ale, deep colour, earthy aroma, delicious

St Bernardus Abt 12...dark and fruity although a pretty industrial brewery

- :thumbsup::bike:
Westvleteren is unobtainium in the US. The St Bernardus is good but I find the Rochefort 8 & 10 to be outstanding. Took the wife to Belgium for a long weekend this year and drank all the beer I could in 3 days. I brewed a Belgian Strong yesterday with Corriander and Bitter Orange peel. Using Trappist yeast, OG is 1.085, it should be yummy.
Cheers :cheers:

Okay, I have another question regarding temperature. Now that summer has set in here in Houston, it's hot outside, and we keep the house's thermostat set to 78F when we have the A/C on. Typically we turn the A/C off when we go to bed, and don't turn it back on until the afternoon when the room temp is up to about 83-84F. This practice keeps the electricity bills manageable.

I don't have any room in my refrigerator for my Mr. Beer kit and we don't have cellars in Houston. Am I SOL, or are there formulations that will work at higher temperatures?
You can put your fermenter in a big bucket and put water in the bottom. Wrap a towel around the fermenter and into the water. The H20 will keep the beer cool as it evaporates. Or make Belgians during the summer, the yeast loves hot temps.

Sounds like a clever idea Kingwj. Belgians are good, but my favorites are stouts, porters, and special bitters. I also like IPAs a lot. And from what I understand, IPAs are so hoppy so that they would last longer during the long transport from England to India while unrefrigerated. Can this be applied to the IPA brewing process as well, or do the IPAs require cooler temps during brewing?

I currently have a batch of Zero Calorie Chocolate Stout on tap, I also enjoy making IPA's, pales, porters. Recently moved to all grain, and I'm not looking back. Google Dennybrew for a super easy all grain system.
I've also made mead, wine etc...

I haven't made any beer in a few years now, but I did brew it quite a lot for awhile. I have tried many different brewing methods, including a cold fermentation, and all different ways of doing the wort. To me it always tastes like ass. I'll stick with my PBR's. My father and I however do make some of the best wine this side of heaven. Which makes this time of year, the holiday season, nice on the wallet. I wish we could sell or trade it, but Uncle Sam frowns upon such things, such a dick! I'm not much of a wine drinker, but a bottle of blackberry Merlot, and a 22oz. "Black and Blue" ribeye, is a meal that is fantastic in my book. We have made wine out of just about every fresh fruit there is, from grapes to kiwi's, and even pineapple. It's a fun and rewarding 'hobby',and hell when times are tuff, I always have a few hundred bottles in the basement.

I haven't made any home-brew-yet. When I was a little Kid, 5 , or 6, My Dad and His Buddy made about 10 cases of some foul-smelling beer, drinking Hamms out of the can all the while. This was about 1962, in West Texas, times were different. The resulting beverage was so foul, and so disgusting, that , after a few days in the shed in the back yard, it began blowing the tops off the bottles,it sounded like sniper fire.
After about three days of cooking off, the beer settled down, There were four cases left. My Dad, and His Buddy (both Marine Veterans of Iwo Jima) snuck up on the shed as if it were a Nip, er....sorry. Japanese pill-box. Peering around the edge of the door, Dad determined that the area was secure, and He and Galen popped open a couple of bottles, thinking they may be able to salvage some of their Special Brew.
The brew was too nasty to force down, and the two Men sadly lugged the four cases out to the alley, vowing never to brew again. Hamms was $1.75 a case, much easier. Next day, I was playing in the back yard, and I heard the trash truck coming down the alley. It drew closer, and I could hear the Garbage Men (Sanitation Engineers) laughing and joking as they got closer. As they drew up in the alley behind Our house the jabbering grew much more animated, and .....A bottle cap flew in the air, followed by a foul spray of brown liquid. Another followed. And another. The noisy Trash Truck became silent as the Men enjoyed their found treasure. An hour passed, the trash truck still sat, unmoved, and the laughter in the alley grew louder, and louder.
I sat quietly, on the other side of the fence, wondering how these Men could afford to suspend their appointed rounds to sit in the alley, laughing and telling dirty jokes. Another hour passed, and all grew quiet as suddenly, a white car with a City Of Midland crest on the door pulled up behind the silent truck. A door slammed, then it hit the fan. The Sanitation Supervisor was yelling and screaming, and using language that even My Dad didn't use. I was now scared to look over the fence, but I could hear enough to know that the crew was replaced with a fresh crew, and the truck rumbled off down the alley, to finish its rounds. I have often wondered, in the years since, if My Dads home brew cost those hard working men their jobs? And I have also wondered how bad the hangover, from that long afternoon in the July sun?:(

Pyroman, good story. Those sanitation engineers must have been pretty hard up if they drank old warm nasty beer dumped in the alley. They probably needed those jobs!

Since about 1790 if I remember right. First thing the suckers did was tax whiskey to pay down the debt for kicking the Brits out. It was that silly accent y'all have that was the final straw.

lol:laugh:
..Banned the whiskey stills cause they didnt want all you hicks getting too bladdered and two-timing your moms by shaggin yer sisters instead ...:wink2:

Last edited:
Ironic, coming from a Brit. I hear the queen's her own grandmother.

Since about 1790 if I remember right. First thing the suckers did was tax whiskey to pay down the debt for kicking the Brits out. It was that silly accent y'all have that was the final straw.

In hindsight, seems ol' George Washington was a big Rye brewer....mebbe the CornCrackers were infringing on his profits. Give somebody a little power and ya get just us justice.

"It has often been said that power corrupts. But it is perhaps equally important to realize that weakness, too, corrupts. Power corrupts the few, while weakness corrupts the many. Hatred, malice, rudeness, intolerance, and suspicion are the faults of weakness." - Eric Hoffer

Its a reflux distillation apparatus....fer, uh.....vinegar and what not....

100_2416.jpg

Back