Any issues replacing the cross brace under the seat?

Austblue

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Does any one see a problem in removing the cross brace shown below either temporarily or permanently given that I've welded a flat bar brace further forward already. This brace is quite close to the rear shock mounts so I could expect that it would be best to replace it but in case I need to put the replacement where the existing brace is I would cut it off then weld in the new piece. Is this likely to allow my frame to warp?

I've made up a custom seat pan and mounted it but it sits a little high where the standard cross brace fouls. I know I could just grind it down but I'd rather cut it out and if necessary replace it with a flat bar cross brace because I've removed the battery and side covers so it is excessive and protrudes into the void plus it is a big obstacle for my tail wiring.

Its the cross brace shown here (someone else's pic) with the two round bar prongs poking forward.

full

I would want some bracing as close to the top shock mounts as possible, you will find the further forward you move the bracing the bike bike will feel looser in the rear end.

Back