Any tips for removing motor solo?

bkaushansky

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've got everything out of the frame but the motor. Before I try and do something stupid, anyone have any tips for remove the motor out of the frame?

Thanks.
b.

Hello.

If your bike (frame) is in a good condition and you want to keep it that way you should get a helping hand and be careful removing the engine. Use alot of rags and stuff to upholster the frame.

Otherwise just take a beer or two then go crazy. I did:D It´s heavy but not that heavy but be sure that the bike stands firm, it can get a little rough.
Ohh......don´t forget to remove the starter BEFORE removing the engine!! It´s easy to damage it otherwise when removing the engine.

/BigBoreSwede

I pull all but the bottom and rear motor bolts then lay the bike down on the right side. Pull the two remaining bolts then jimmy the motor a bit and stand up the bike, motor left on the floor.

If I eventually have to do this I'll probably loosen the mounting bolts then lay the bike on its side on soft ground, then finish the bolts and raise the bike up off of it.

What are all you guys 95 years old? Just grab the kicker and put your fingers in the exhaust hole and lift the engine out from the right side.

What are all you guys 95 years old? Just grab the kicker and put your fingers in the exhaust hole and lift the engine out from the right side.

"James".....I bet you´re a beerdrinker too:laugh: But as you all know, in Sweden you´ll become a viking after some juice!!

Sorry, this is a sidetrack but seriously, it´s not that heavy.

/BigBoreSwede

I used to say stuff like that. Now I'm in my 30's and having to do things the old guy way because my back is all fucked up.

Not 95, but 60. And have to agree w/ Riggs. Plus all the low side slides. Thank god no high side get offs!

Do it the easy way, lay it over.

i put two 14 in rims with tires on right side of bike straddled bike and pulled top out to the right and lifted engine out on tires. it took two of my buddies to help me in the house where i layed for two weeks while my back healed up:(. but i did it all by myself:bike:
its easier to get hurt and get help than it is to get help before u get hurt :laugh:

If you have a secretaries type chair with wheels on it, the just run a couple of 8 foot 2 X4's front and back of the engine, secure the engine to the 2 X 4's with some chain, rest one end of the 2 X 4's on the chair and lift from the other end. The leverage makes the lift on your end half the weight of the engine. If you don't have a secretary, then hire one..:).... and she can help you...:thumbsup:....no chair required...:D

Haha you guys crack me up! Just yank it out, that what I do, I did have a friend help carry it up to the 2nd floor where I just(now) finished rebuilding the top end.

:(HaHa, I jerked a Honda 750 out of the frame one time cause I was pissed off and alone. Carried it across the room and set it on the kitchen table. Then the ambulance came. That was 1982, it hurts today.:(:eek::doh::mad:

proper lifting technique and you'll be fine. it's a bit heavy, but i suppose i only have a few years left in me anyways, from what you guys are saying...

i found it easier to remove and replace from the left side, though, for some reason.

These engines are about 165 lbs. Not heavy but I bit hard to grip. I have pulled two engines and my last one I lifted out and back in a powder coated frame without scratches or injury and I will be 61 years old 3-17. It is better for two people or some type of lifting appliance or like Mr. Riggs suggested. Tony C

At the top of the page clck tech, scroll down to homemade tools You will find several clever ways to pull the engine.

Back