Avon Venom or Dunlop GT501?

Capt_Zoom

Raider Rider/xs newbie
Reaction score
Have any of you guys ridden on both the Avon Venom and Dunlop GT501 tires? I'm trying to decide between the two. Want the one that will perform best on wet roads.

The Avon Venom's are some of the best tires you'll ever find for wet or dry conditions,they just simply stick to any surface but depending on how hard you ride will determine life expectancy of tire tread.

Venom's. I thought I had a different bike when I switched from the Dunlops they were so superior. 1987 Venture

I've heard good things about the venom but nothing on the GT501 other than from Dunlops reps. I ride Avon cobras on my raider and we're getting 10k out of those and they are the best tire I've found in the wet.

Problem is, Avons are spendy. This bike is for my wife who probably won't put 2k a year on the bike, a budget build. Seems the Dunlops are about 30-60 cheaper than the avons.

Want her to be confident in her tires and safety is my biggest priority for her..

Yeah but I know that the venoms and cobras are Avon's stickiest tires. Its wet and cold here in MN and at least I know that they will perform very well. At least my cobra's do on my raider. On the other hand the Metz880 that's on the xs650 now were the worst tire I ever had on my raider, at least as far as the wet goes. Made my raider squirrelly as heck in the wet.

I've run the GT510s on both my XS750 and XS400. Very sticky tires, excellent in the rain but they do wear out fast.

I've run the GT510s on both my XS750 and XS400. Very sticky tires, excellent in the rain but they do wear out fast.

GT501's seem to be one of the few sticky tires to fit the stock XS650 mag wheels (front and rear).

I'm going to buy a set here in the next week to try out on mah Cafe Racer project. :rock:

Last edited:
Back