Battery dies extremely quick.

Last thing for today. I put a fully charged battery on the bike a few moments ago when I turned the key it only dropped by a little bit still within 12.3-12.4 tried starting the bike with the kick start and nothing. This is a battery on my friends xs650 that runs very well and charges.

OK, your next step is to find out if you have spark at both plugs.

Today I tested the spark at both plugs I didn't see a spark on the left plug at first but after getting shocked it was clear that there was spark lol. I did notice some varnish or powdery substance lining the inside of my float bowls and carbs. I also am going to get fresh gas and try again.

Any thoughts?

If your float bowls have varnish and some powdery substance you need to do a tear down, cleaning, inspection of the carbs. Once you finish the inspection you can determine if anything needs replacement.
www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf will take you step by step through the complete procedure.
Leo

I took my carbs apart today and cleaned them. I got all the passages sprayed out and reassembled them. I did notice that one had the jets facing the wrong way. I corrected it and put some supreme gas in and she started right up. Ran like a champ and I checked the battery and it was getting great charge! I rode up and down the street for a while hauling ass and having fun with a big grin on my face. Then when I was on my last pass around the block to put her up for the day she died. I don't know why but she won't start. I should have made a sacrifice to the motorcycle gods before I rode lol. I was using an old battery so I will get a brand new one and see.

I checked everything out and I blew my fuse. I put a new one in and it started right up. Now I just have to figure out why the fuse blew. Any thoughts?

I rode my bike today!!!!! Put a new fuse in it and she fired right up. I rode her around the block and she was running great. Thank you Retiredgentleman and XSLeo!!! you helped me learn so much!!. Not all the way out of the woods but it feels really good to ride er.

Put on the new handle bars and taped up the wires. She only seems to be firing a little on the right side. Don't know about that but I ride around my neighborhood just fine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 202
If you haven't synced the carbs yet now is a good time to do it. If you have mufflers put them on. These bikes don't run well with no mufflers and short pipes. If you haven't replaced the plug wires. Check to make shure you are getting a good connection. Nice looking bike.

Put on the new handle bars and taped up the wires. She only seems to be firing a little on the right side. Don't know about that but I ride around my neighborhood just fine.

Hi BCoop,
I just read skip-read through this string and Oh my, that's a massive learning curve you've been on.
Kudos on getting the bike running.
I also clicked the thumbnail photo.
Nice clean bike, those aluminum rim deep groove wire wheels are the best looking wheels they ever put on an XS650.
BUT WHERE'S THE FRONT BRAKE CALIPER?
Please tell me you haven't been riding around like that?
Or with what seems to be without the bolts that hold the oil strainer cover on?

Lol yeah I've been just using the back brake and engine breaking for my stopping power. I don't really go that fast or out of the neighborhood for now. My front brake caliper has a seized piston. So until that's out I'm rocking one brake. I have the rebuild kit but need to get the piston out first and resurface the inside. Also the bolts on the oil filter are dark so give the illusion nothing is there. I was thinking of buying the Yamaha tune up kit for new points and how do I sync the carbs? Right now I'm experiencing a loss of power when pulling out of first like the bike has toxic really far down to get me going. I have to give it more throttle than I feel I should or it will buck out of first.

Lol yeah I've been just using the back brake and engine breaking for my stopping power. I don't really go that fast or out of the neighborhood for now. My front brake caliper has a seized piston. So until that's out I'm rocking one brake. I have the rebuild kit but need to get the piston out first and resurface the inside. Also the bolts on the oil filter are dark so give the illusion nothing is there. - - -

Hi BCoop,
it ain't the 1920s anymore so fix the front brake, eh?
Riding without one is bad in the short run, you may run over somebody's kid and bad in the long run, you may get habituated into only using the back brake.
If the piston won't come out, pump it out with the bike's hydraulics.
If that don't work, use a grease gun, a good grease gun puts out thousands of PSI.
And yes, it gets messy.
Thing is, every XS650 I've ever seen has it's oil strainer (filter is too strong a word for that coarse wire mesh) cover bolts placed at 3 o'clock & 9 o'clock and yours are at 11 & 5.

I have a grease gun I could try for the caliper. I gave it to a guy I know a while ago to see if he could get it out. He tacked a nut to it and then tried using a screw and hammer puller to get it out. No luck even then. I'll try the grease gun method tomorrow.

As for my clutch cover I am going to change the oil and filters soon so I will take the opportunity to get that addressed. Hope you will help with that one lol.

I have fuel filters I bought at cycle gear that bent/melted. Not sure why. Getting metal ones.

I took my caliper to work and tried using the grease gun. It only shot grease out of the side of the nipple. It didn't even get down in the caliper. I tried putting a bolt into the nut we tacked to the piston and pulling it out but no luck there either. I think its just all one piece like it got cold welded.

Right now my main concern is just the intermittent firing on the right side.
My list of possible solutions so far are

1. clean the carb
2. test ignition circuit to that side.
3. check that my cylinder doesn't have gas sitting in it from previous failures at kicking it over.
4. change spark plugs or plug leads.

anything I may have missed?

I took my caliper to work and tried using the grease gun. It only shot grease out of the side of the nipple. It didn't even get down in the caliper. I tried putting a bolt into the nut we tacked to the piston and pulling it out but no luck there either. I think its just all one piece like it got cold welded.
Right now my main concern is just the intermittent firing on the right side.

Hi Bcoop,
I wouldn't nag at you unless I was concerned for your safety and
right now your main concern should be getting both of your brakes working.
If your caliper is FUBAR get one that ain't.
There's a parts for sale section on this very list.

I had some time before I had to go to work today so i switched the plugs and kicked her over. problem persisted. When idling and pulling away from a stop the the bike stutters and its a crap shoot as to whether or not it will die or get going. I'm guessing at this point that its a rich mixture coming out of the carb that's dampening my spark plug and causing it to spark intermittently. When idling its noticeable that the right side is firing half as much as the left. I put my hand over the exhaust to feel the pressure and its very consistent and steady on the left and sputters on the right.

I also checked the plugs to confirm and there is a noticeable amount of carbon on the right hand carb that's not on the right.

Fredintoon I hear you lol. I definitely have that as my priority :) and I appreciate the concern. To me that's an easy fix and I do not plan to ride before that is addressed. I plan to buy a replacement from brake caliper and pistons as I already have the rebuild kit and reservoir ready to go. For now though I want this thing purring so I can throw the front brake on and ride with all the power I'm supposed to.

Inline fuel filter from cycle gear melted on the right side and closed shut. Starved my right cylinder of fuel keeping it from firing. I'm cleaning that carb today and getting new fuel filters. Going to sync then as well. This is the second pair of plastic filters that I have personally seen melted. Going to get metal and glass ones this time around and try my luck. Also my brand new battery is spilling out onto my frame and eating away at the metal any suggestions on how to stop this?

I put new fuel filters on, cleaned the carbs, set the air mixture screws to the same on each carb, and it started up. After starting if I gave it too much gas it would hiss and die but if I went just enough it would begin to rev higher.

Back