Billet top triple clamp,

You could also make a dummy lower piece kind of like the dummy lower plate that on a stock bike, you know that piece that has the yamaha emblem on it that covers the ugly stock lower clamp. But doesnt have any structural use what so ever, purely for looks to match the look of your upper and sell them as a kit. Ah just something else to think about. I know I would be more inclined to buy them as a set cause that way it looks as tho you have billet trees up and down. :shrug:

Clampbottom.jpg

just keep it simple man. make a flat, no frills clamp first and test it out. post some pictures and get some more feedback, go from there.

you can offer a 2nd bracket piece to hold gauges or mounting holes for those ebay gauge plates.

this way youll not only save time and money, but give the customer the versatility of being able to run multiple configurations.

There's WAY more 35mm than 34mm. I don't see why the top clamp needs the extra machining to remove a couple of ounces. I would be interested in plain version. No gauges.

John

If you make holes to accepts the handlebar rubber mount set up as stock you might need to engineer in a way to make them deep as the stock unit. When the bushings are tightend they depend on a particular dimension to grab the holes just right. If your clamp is thinner you might not be able to get them tight enough.

Last edited:
Jeeze. Guess no love for raked trees here. If you guys ever ride a bike with them you'd be surprised. All the visual bene's of raking a bike without the performance costs.

Nothing against a raked tree I mean it's not my thing, but that is a whole different animal than a simple one plane set up where nearly all the machine work can be done with the piece attached flat to the table of the mill. And it's ground up all new upper and lower triples and a custom stem as compared to just the top triple. I'm no machinist so I'm just guessing.

Theres definetly benefits to raked trees. They bring the trail back into order so turning is easier.but gary is right. Raked trees are a much larger manufactureing endeavour.

Well, Ive decided to make a new lower stock clamp as well. But for my personal build for now. I will have to get the neck out of my stock clamp, and mkae a new lower, and press it in. Than I may drill a hole Bisecting, the neck(steel), and the clamp (aluminum), and press in a Dowel pin with Green loctite. We have done this before, with good success. Either that or I just drill right thru the lower and neck, and press in a pin there. That will keep the clamp from rotating on the neck, and from pulling out. So, Ill be in the shop tomorrow. I have a couple rear sets to make for some customers, so they come first, since I have there money already. LOL

I have a mock up drawing of the simple design, already for the top clamp, but I wont get time to make one for a few weeks. Ill keep everyone posted.

I will have a set of 35mm trees real soon, to start this project full force. Im hoping to have an upper machined in about a month.

When i machined my trees I compensated for the added height by counter-boring the neck mount to drop it over the preload locking rings. This dropped it down about another half inch, which for a 40* rake was perfect with stock forks. I also had to machine my stem as well. However the added height in what your describing would be welcome on bikes that aren't raked. Most people push their tubes up in the trees, or internally shorten the legs anyway.

Motolanna sells a few sets for the XS650, all meant for clamp on bars though. I think they have the right idea however with their mounting lugs for a optional gauge mount, I would clean up the lugs though, maybe hide them underneath for people that wont use them...

1512751.jpg

788488.jpg

They also have a smooth set...

1387187.jpg

When i machined my trees I compensated for the added height by counter-boring the neck mount to drop it over the preload locking rings. This dropped it down about another half inch, which for a 40* rake was perfect with stock forks. I also had to machine my stem as well. However the added height in what your describing would be welcome on bikes that aren't raked. Most people push their tubes up in the trees, or internally shorten the legs anyway.

Motolanna sells a few sets for the XS650, all meant for clamp on bars though. I think they have the right idea however with their mounting lugs for a optional gauge mount, I would clean up the lugs though, maybe hide them underneath for people that wont use them...

1512751.jpg

788488.jpg

They also have a smooth set...

1387187.jpg

dont waste your time or money with this

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?p=55515#post55515

I seen your thread Bill. I feel for you:banghead: I agree, that at the least...It should fit!!
You can fix ugly, well most of the time. But when you need to move holes, is when things get harry.

Im going to get my Triple clamp in the shop on monday, and put it on the CMM, to reverse engineer it. So that when i get full steam ahead with this endeavour, this kind of thing wont happen.

I seen your thread Bill. I feel for you:banghead: I agree, that at the least...It should fit!!
You can fix ugly, well most of the time. But when you need to move holes, is when things get harry.

Im going to get my Triple clamp in the shop on monday, and put it on the CMM, to reverse engineer it. So that when i get full steam ahead with this endeavour, this kind of thing wont happen.

Sounds good, keep us posted. I will be following intently as I am now back in the market for a top clamp HAHA.

ive got the model All done. I have included provisions for Bar mounts. They are the same diameter as in stock uppers. but since my upper is thinner in that area, you will need to shave down your rubbers, to fit the new thickness. I also will make an Upper with out holes for bar mounts. ALL wil have 1/4-20 holes underneath, for mounting a stock gague bracket, or the cool aftermarket ones found on Ebay.

Price will be $100 plus actual shipping. They will include all bolts needed to clamp to neck, and forks.

stockXS3d.jpg

Back