Blowing the 20A fuse when turning key

1982XS650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Well I had a charging issue with the 1982 Xs650 Special, so i disconnected the regulator, ignition coil and the stator. I checked them with a ohm meter and found that they all were fine, but the brushes on the stator were too short. I installed some new brushes and reassembled the parts. Now when I turn the key I am blowing the 20A fuse. I'm not very good with electrical so i am lost. :doh:

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

has to be a short, chech the work you just did, i would check the brushes. could be a bad wire. i had to clean the fuse holders on mine. be carefull use the fuses it better to burn up a bunch of fuses than fry some stuff.

go packers
i'm from wi too

@rezsst I have yet to look over everything. Prob get to it tomorrow.
@dogbunny I just checked the rotor (its new as of a few weeks ago) came up at 5 ohms.

I mentioned the stator because it is a common cause of a blown main fuse. Your next step is to check the last thing you did, i.e. make sure you did the brush replacement correctly. Next, disconnect the brushes, the regulator, the ignition coil and the stator, just like you did before. Turn the ignition key on and see if you are still blowing the fuse. Then reconnect one component at a time, and check after each one to see if the fuse still blows. That should narrow it down to a single component and/or the wires that feed it.

The stator won't blow fuses, a bad rotor can. Check the wires at the brushes.
Usually the last thing you did before a problem occurs is where the problem is.
Another place to check with this problem is the tail light socket. Vibration rubs the hot wire against the side of the socket and shorts to ground.
I would have suggested that first but you have been working on other things.
Check your work.
Leo

I checked the resistance between the two brushes and am getting ~580 ohms. I have it narrowed down to the stator assembly as everything else checked out.

Edit. Figured out the problem. The wire that goes to the brushes was shorting out on the stator!

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Back