Build Thread...Special to Cafe Bike

You may want to re-think the WD40 coating, or augment it I should say. WD40 is mostly kerosene and doesn't offer much in the way of long term corrosion protection. It will pretty much eventually evaporate all away and leave nothing behind. I'd put something with a bit more oil in there.

Hmmm, that's a good point 5twins. What do you recommend to use to treat a tank that has been freshly cleaned?

Thanks Satch - me too!

I'm starting to think colours...(I'm not very artistic frankly). I'm going to keep is simple and clean (like Brassneck's bike) and I will use those beautiful XS650 sidecover emblems made in pewter by Resto (see his album). I originally thought about gold stripes on black, but I'm thinking a really dark blue or green with silver trim to match the emblems...?

Good thought on the oil vs WD40....hmmmm. Right now, the tank is pretty well sealed up and I'm hoping to have it painted soon - but if it is going to be a long time, I'll put in some oil and slosh it around.

Pete

nope, you can clean it out with mineral spirits I believe. Google on "Corrosion Preventative Compound" there are different MIL Spec grades for different uses. It displaces water which is a benefit over oil. I used to use that stuff on aircraft in the service.

As far as colors, green with silver trim would look absolutely great, I was going to do that and wish I stuck with that idea, but went black and silver for some reason.

nope, you can clean it out with mineral spirits I believe. Google on "Corrosion Preventative Compound" there are different MIL Spec grades for different uses. It displaces water which is a benefit over oil. I used to use that stuff on aircraft in the service.

As far as colors, green with silver trim would look absolutely great, I was going to do that and wish I stuck with that idea, but went black and silver for some reason.

Cool - great info - thanks!

I just saw the tumbler pictures, nice machine. I've used the roofing nails, about 5 pounds, wrapped and stuffed with blankets in the clothes dryer with the heat cycle off.

Scott

I just saw the tumbler pictures, nice machine. I've used the roofing nails, about 5 pounds, wrapped and stuffed with blankets in the clothes dryer with the heat cycle off.

Scott

Scott - THAT is a really good idea! I never thought of a clothes dryer.

Did it take much begging to get permission to use it for tumbling a motorcycle fuel tank?

Pete

Hey Pete, don't worry about hard mounted pegs--good boots will damp the vibes, that's what they're for!

Yep, Suzuki was always a solid package mechanically (I've had 8 of them since 1965), and the GS bikes are no exception. But there's one weakness common to the GS bikes, big and small, and to later machines as well. If you like to wind 'em up , you'd better be using a high wattage headlight and run it on bright or use some other means of burning off watts. Those scoots use a PM alternator with the usual load dump reg/rec, and they're notorious for burning up rectifier diodes when they're run hard; the heat sink just can't shed the heat fast enough. The first hint you'll get that AC is being pumped to the battery will be acid boiling out of a vented battery or a cracked case on a sealed unit.

I have heard that about them, but I never had an issue myself. I guess they all have their issues.

You should look at the Ford Green they use on the newer f-150's, if you're having trouble deciding. It's black in some light and green in others. I have been thrown off a couple times when I saw them. Best of both worlds!

Will also be watching from afar as it were. don't know how to tell you this but i failed to work on my "C" over Christmas as it was too bloody hot in the Garage. Seems to be no happy medium weather wise, gets cold here too because of the altitude but seldom snow.

Will also be watching from afar as it were. don't know how to tell you this but i failed to work on my "C" over Christmas as it was too bloody hot in the Garage. Seems to be no happy medium weather wise, gets cold here too because of the altitude but seldom snow.

That's OK Jonesey - one of the fun things about Canada is that it gets too hot here as well as too cold (yippee!!) Next July, my garage will almost certainly exceed 40C lots of times and be over 35C for days on-end.

Satch - I'll check that Ford colour out - sounds nice!

Pete

Starting to look really nice Jim - snazzy Mustang too!
Pete
Thanks Pete. Like I said I have too much fun riding the 650 to take it off the road for very long. I need to commit like you are doing.
Believe it or not the Mustang is my daily driver (except in the rain). Not much left from 1965, the entire drivetrain and interior is 90's era Mustang Cobra with a few go-fast and handling mods. I've scared myself plenty with it.

Video - hope to have itup today Gary. I've got an apt with a student who will help me out.

P

Okey dokey - I have now figured out how to do what every 10 year old does all the time: post a video to YouTube! Here is the linky to the video showing the tank tumbler with my XS750 fuel tank in it. NOTE: this video was staged in that there were no stones or water inside the tank (that would have made a tremendous racket).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf2hpK-yvhE

Many thanks to a very talented CVMG friend Len - who built the tumbler and handled the entire task for me.

Pete

Back