Buying my first XS650

Hi seville and welcome,
the 1980 is a Special.
It has electronic ignition, a lift-off seat, an 11 liter gas tank, runs a 16" rear tire and has artillery wheels that'll take tubeless tires. It's rear shocks are mounted more sloped than the Standard's and that's about the only thing that can't be swapped between them.
The 1977 is a Standard.
it has points ignition, a hinge-up seat, a 15 liter gas tank, runs an 18" rear tire and has wire wheels that must run tube tires.
The bike in the photo also has had the left-side front disk brake added on.
If it's been done right, that's a good thing.
Both bikes look real good in the photos but you'll never know until you make a physical inspection of the bike itself.
it's which one you can afford vs which one you'd rather have and that's up to you, eh?

Wow, tough call!

The '80 is more original, the only thing I can spot right off is the clubman bars. It has TCI ignition which is much simpler and easier to maintain than the points ignition that was stock on the '77. Price seems a little high for a special, but I'm a cheap SOB.

The '77 looks darn nice too, and I MUCH prefer the standards to the specials, but that's a personal preference. The price seems right, but the bike has been tweaked with the exhaust and the carbs. If it was done right, no harm no foul, and it DOES come with the original carbs. The damage to the side covers and the tank is gonna be spendy to fix if you want it done right.

I prefer the 77 myself, but we're not here for what we like. The op wants to know which would be best for him.
Now seeing as I have no idea how much experience you have riding or working on a bike I would suggest the 80. I do this because the TCI is much easier to live with. Points can be a big PITA to work with. Being that old the breaker plates and screws are worn. As they wear they get harder to set.
With a Pamco you can eliminate this. But as a first adventure into old bikes the TCI is a better option.
Generally and older cheaper bike will take more work to get road worthy. Either one of those can be made into a very reliable day to day rider. Except for a few things they are about the same bike.
Most of the early issues with handling and brakes were dealt with by 77. After that they made some changes, mostly cosmetic, over the years.
I would recommend getting the one that needs less work to get road worthy. This way you will have less to spend after purchase, get to ride it sooner.
I would also suggest that getting the bike roadworthy and riding it as stock will let you learn about how the bike is to live with.
After riding it for the first summer, fixing things as they come along, and they will, you will have a much clearer idea of any changes you might want.
Several have bought a just to mod into a bobber, tracker, café, whatever, and after the initial riding and fixing they have found they like them pretty much stock. A few mods to upgrade the handling, and increase the reliability a bit.
Leo

Thanks for all the suggestions!

And RFang, thanks for the offer, I do have a boundary waters trip planned in July, so if I have not pulled the trigger on a bike by then I won't hesitate to contact you.

I'm surprised it's not been sold yet at that price, but if it's still here... I'll show it to you, we'll go riding on the 650's, and you will throw your money at me quickly before I change my mind :)

Back