charging system dead

I'm trying to put the right cover back on but the area you see circled in the picture is giving me problems. there is a gap that is not closing. inside there is a dowel. am i supposed to put a bolt in it? there are three sizes of bolts, the long ones are too long, the medium sized ones spin without catching the thread. so the cover has a half inch gap where you see red circle

Attachments

• IMG_3561.PNG
    IMG_3561.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 262
  • IMG_3560.JPG
    IMG_3560.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_3559.JPG
    IMG_3559.JPG
    351.7 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
Make sure that the kickstart is fully seated.

Ensure that only 1 washer/shim is outside the kickstart shaft's circlip.

Some members report that the cover will 'pop' on, over the hollow dowel, when the kickstart shaft is cycled.

You may have the wrong lengths/combination of cover screws.
Study this pic supplied by 5twins.
Bolt #5 goes into that hollow dowel location.
RightSideCover.jpg

I believe it takes a medium size bolt for that hole even though it looks like it's a short one....
use a rubber hammer and get the side cover up flush before you tighten ANY bolts....
the dowel pin won't go into the hole in the cover if the side plate is cocked side ways a bit...
that last 1/4" is the hard part but most critical... once you've done it a few times it's easy.... just push more on the back kick starter area than the front ! maybe pulling out on the front will get it to go the last little bit....
don't use the screws to pull the side plate in.... get it good and flush FIRST then put in the screws each screw should sit about 1/2" to 3/8" above the side plate... put in all screws first to make sure you have the right screws in the right holes... THEN tighten them all down ...
i like to take them up to snug first then make sure the side plate is on good, then take the screws in all the way in 2 complete turnings of all the screws..... in other words go in slowly so all the screws are in contact with the side plate .
hope that helps.
Bob.....

2M: thank you for that Pic.... my copper sealing washers aren't correct ! LOL how about that ! live and learn !
Good man 2M....
Bob........

Yeah, 5twins has posted mucho over the years about the sidecover screw lengths and copper washers. Glad I snagged a copy of one of his pics before they were photobucked. Otherwise, I would've just supplied a link to one of his posts...

Some of your screws are not right. There should be 5 short 25mm ones (you have 3) and only one medium length 40mm one (you have 3). That hole you have circled should get the one 40mm screw. The cover probably won't fit on all the way because your kick start assembly isn't installed correctly, not seated into the case fully. See post #8 here .....

http://www.xs650.com/threads/how-the-hell-does-this-kicker-shaft-work.25602/

Not the crankcase, just the cover, Too late for any warnings now. My left side cover has a crack/break off by the front dowel pin, not sure if I caused it or it was already done. I super glued it using the bolts to clamp the pieces together. Your crack is above the oil line, glue or replace?

Scott

Kickstarter assembly is hard. :shootme: I don't usually give up easily but with this thing I've had to walk away twice.
The video by peanut was very helpful. I asked the gf to help me keep the assembly in while I tried to pull the spring into place but dang there's not much room to get pliers in there. I did manage to get the assembly flush enough to see that the cover seated properly; but getting the spring 180 degrees from that point to where it has to go aint happening. I'm thinking of somehow pre-cocking the spring before I insert the assembly.

Kickstarter assembly is easy if you follow the instructions I gave you in that link. No spring pulling or stretching with pliers or tie wraps is required. Rotating the kick start arm does all the spring stretch work for you. That video you watched is the hard way, as you've discovered, but some people like to do things like that.

here's where i am. i believe i got the kickstarter in the proper depth. all three elements are where they should be. so i put the cover on, but the same damn screw under the kickstarter wont screw all the way in. see attached pic, it doesn't catch the thread at all.

so i wanted to see if the bike would leak, and poured 2.5 L of oil. yeah there's a drop every 2 minutes coming out. is it possible to put the blue gasket glue in the bottom area to stop the oil leak?

i have not started the bike since july and was curious if it would. yes it did. new rotor and new battery. but..... there's always a but...

the kickstarter was loose. when i used it i just spun back 180 degrees from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock. resistance was not great. bike engine did not respond at all to my kicks.

in addition, idle was not good. i had to hold the throttle to keep it from stalling.

im close but so far away

Attachments

• IMG_3586.JPG
    IMG_3586.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 248
Okay, consider these possibilities.
- Screw may be too short, should be 40mm.
- There's more threads in the case than what are needed. The outer threads may have stripped. A slightly longer screw may work, 45mm, but don't tighten as much as the others.
- The copper washer may be interfering with the bolt insertion.

Back