Charging System Question. Yes, I've read it.

Got my reg/rec in the mail yesterday. Stayed up late last night after band practice to get it wired up. Bike started this morning but with the same problem. The headlight doesn't brighten. I'll hit it with the volt meter tonight. Also going to look for a loose connection.

Any other ideas?

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Loose connection? Continuity test all reg/rect/rotor/stator lines.

Will do this evening. I either have another bad box, or a short somewhere and an extra box wired up and ready to go......Either way im ready to ride daily again. Wouldnt mind having an extra reg/rec at all. That would be sweet. Hard to believe its a short after rewireing it though. I was tedious. Everything is new, crimped, soldered, and has dielectric grease on all plug pins.

Thanks for the help everyone.

xs650.jpg

So with your tester check
+12 at the red wire, and at the brown wire (key on)
ground at the black wire

Do a diode test.

Use your ohms setting, one lead on the red check each of the whites they ALL should read low ohms OR high ohms, swithc the lead on the red, test all three whites again you should see all three with the opposite reading.
Now move one lead to the black wire repeat both tests on all three whites.

xs650.jpg

So with your tester check
+12 at the red wire, and at the brown wire (key on)
ground at the black wire

Do a diode test.

Use your ohms setting, one lead on the red check each of the whites they ALL should read low ohms OR high ohms, swithc the lead on the red, test all three whites again you should see all three with the opposite reading.
Now move one lead to the black wire repeat both tests on all three whites.

All that is correct except for the first test. Red lead on red wire and all white wires are open. All the others were right. High or low. Gonna check my old reg/rec............

Checked it. Same thing on the first test, open. But also open with the black lead on the black wire while touching the white wires.

Do I have two bad boxes?

Do the test say red on red black lead on the whites then reverse it black on red, red lead on whites, you should be "open" one way and show a fairly low resistance the other way. Same test/ results with the black lead and the three whites. The measurements should be similar on all three white wires. Regulator unhooked from the stator.

Unhooked. Correct.

The open circuits do show low resistance when the leads are reversed. Only difference is the new reg/rec only shows open on the first test...red lead on red wire with black lead on each white wire.

The old reg/rec shows open on the first test but also open with the black lead on the black wire while touching the white wires with the red lead. Low ohms when reversed.

Home from work now, gonna remove my grounds, rough em up a little for better contact and see what happens. Once Im certain my grounds are the best ever in the history of the entire universe........ and everything in it........... ever........then I'll check for shorts.

I will update,

thanks everyone.

Well.......

Its definitely not the ground. I cleaned, grinded with dremel to shiny, replace with star washers. Best ground contact in the history of everything......ever........

Gonna search for bad connections now......im doubtful honestly.

Im starting to lean towards the box. Getting ready to ask to borrow one to see.

Well, continuity seems to be ok. Cant find a short. Any other suggestions.

I may have to buy a new reg/rec. Dont know what else to do.

Gonna keep looking, backtrack.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Battery draining on it's own is disturbing, fool with that later.

In post #20 you had a successful charge with the green wire to ground bypass, which gave appropriate suspicion to the regulator. If a solid-state device is used in the regulator to provide that ground, it usually will have a forward voltage drop minimum of 0.6v. What you can do is monitor the voltage on that green line while running, see if it drops to 0.6v. And if it doesn't, the reg could be bad, or it's not seeing/receiving the actual battery voltage on it's red line...

Post 6 was before and after riding to and from work......20 miles round trip. In traffic. Discharge was due to riding.

I'll check that green line later tonight if i get a chance. Still at the beach now. Missing my bike BAD

Thanks everyone.

Happy Tuesday everyone. Hope you all had a great Memorial Day weekend.

I didnt get a chance to run any test last night. Got back too late. I will check the green wire tonight. If you guys come up with any other test let me know. My only option at this point is a new reg rec. I could make one, but Id rather have a new one I think. I could have one from mikes on thursday. Only problem with going through reg/recs is the cost, plus I have to put a new plug on each one.

Just an idea, unhook the AGM put a known good 12 volt battery in the system, see what happens.
There are a lot of flaky AGMs floating around out there.

Would that affect the green wire test I did earler? How about the green wire test Im going to do later tonight?

I'll try the test also with a car batt hooked up.

Same results with the car battery.

Seems as though its not going to ground to charge the battery. That appears to be the .....thing.....for lack of a better word. Its supposed to monitor the battery and go to ground to charge it and release ground when its full.

Wrong? Very basic i know, but wrong?

Double confirm no shorts. Everything is checking out with continuity. Again. Grounds are, well......awesome.....

What next youz guyz.

Thanks everyone.

Yeah, you got something there. Now, why not going down to 0.6v to charge, but stays around 6v. Either the reg thinks that there's enuff charge, or bad ground return path, or bad grounding driver in the reg. Item 2, you're confidant about good grounds. Items 1 & 3 point to regulator...

Back