Electrical question, turn signals

nh-jk

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just got some led turn signals, I know the turns won't flash with out an upgraded flasher unit... I got one from super bright LED, I'm not sure where the old one is located to swap it out? I don't even know what it looks like. Does anyone have a write up or pictures of its location so I can take look at it. Thisnis what I got to replace it.

Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 57
the signal flasher is located under the right side of the gas tank. you can get it out without removing the tank. silver colored, cylindrical, with a black 3-wire connector plugged into one end. this all assumes "all stock" and nobody has monkeyed with it. if a previous owner has "worked" on your wiring harness then all bets are off :wtf:

Hi nh-jk,
Mark's may be a silver cylinder but my '84 Heritage flasher is a black rectangle.
The flasher location and harness plug are the same though.
A 2-pin generic auto flasher goes into the harness plug 2 ways, one works, t'other don't.
Your unit will need spade end adaptors to suit the harness plug and there'll be 4 ways to plug it in of which only 1 will work.

Ok, I usually reccomend the LF1-S-flat, this one comes with the wires going to a plastic connector with flat blades inside. You can remove the blades from the plastic. There is a release on the edge of the blade you push in with a stiff wire or tiny flat blade screwdriver.
Once out of the plastic the red wire plugs into the brown wire of the flasher socket, the black to the brown/white.
On the one you have you have two choises. Cut off the bullet conectors and put blades on or make short jumpers with female bullet connectors on one end a flat blade on the other. On the flasher the gray wire goes to the brown wire in the socket, black to brown/white.
On this set up ignore the green/yellow wire. This wemt to the self canceler. This flasher can't run the canceler. You can remove the canceler. It's probably bad or getting ready to go bad. Chuck it.
Now your flasher will flash your turns but you have to remeber to turn them off. Easy to do just push the turn switch straight in.
Leo

Back