Engine rebuild...

The Clymer is a great source for tear down and rebuild. If you run into any problems or can't figure something out, the forum is a great place for specific question.

Hope that helps.

well, i dont think that you will find a thread or website that will tell you everything that you will need to know all in one lump sum. when you get your engine it may be fine. all you might need is a hone and rings. you might need valve work, your transmission may be totally fucked. who knows.

i dont know your experience so im not talking down to you or anything but a good place to start is just goggling a basic 4 stroke. suck squeeze bang blow. learn what valves do and why. learn what TDC is, learn what ignition and coils do.

take a quick look through the carb guide.
http://www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf
dont go too crazy because you dont know what your going to be getting into. but a basic understanding of carbs will help.

look through the tech section on this website.

i started my xs650 experience with only some basic tools and knowledge on how to start a ride the shit out of a dirt bike. i took a non running mouse infested xs home and turned it into a (kinda) stable running bike. mostly through looking at forums just like this.

I'm currently doing a monthly write-up for www.rustymetric.com that is pretty intensive on how to rebuild a crank/bottom end. The next months article is getting the cylinders and pistons in place, and then the following months will all be the finishing details.

Check it out, it's only $1 :thumbsup:

I'm currently doing a monthly write-up for www.rustymetric.com that is pretty intensive on how to rebuild a crank/bottom end. The next months article is getting the cylinders and pistons in place, and then the following months will all be the finishing details.

Check it out, it's only $1 :thumbsup:

I was rather impressed with the magazine, its easily worth $1

I'm fairly new with the xs, had mostly done easier maintaing work on newer bikes before, but now own an xs since last year. As other says here, you may not find a step to step for everything in one plce, but with the clymer manual as a base manual you will definitely find answer and get good new feedback on almost everything on this forum. There is also other great forum or websites with information where you can look for answers when you stumbles into an issue.

It's an old bike, so you almost definitely will... Go ahead, there always help out there.

My only tip is to not be to stubborn and use extra force if something proves difficult. First seek feedback or information, so that you don't destroy something. Sometimes the soultion is more simple than you think. A correct or better tool, different way of doing it, etc.

I've also come to the conlusion that the Clymer manual sometimes makes it more difficult than it really is or that make you overwork it. So navigate on the web may help you saolve the problem in an easier way.

And take photos and post them, if you don't know how it should look like. Then others better informed can give you good advice or post there own images. The images in the manual aren't that good.

I've learned by doing things myself. Both the easy and the hard way. But people here inspires me to continue.

Keep on moving... :thumbsup:

Back