favorite pics of previous owner carnage!

A little late to this thread cause I just "found" what the previous owner had done, and I dont have any pics of it yet. I bought a mostly original, pretty clean 81 special with only 16k miles on it. It came set up and running pod filters and its running well, with the exception of a popping through the right pipe, more on that later. Brought it home, had it running in my garage and noticed the right side wasnt heating up. Pulled the plugs and the right was fouled out, no big deal till I noticed that it was a completely different plug then the left one. New set of plugs and bang she runs like a scalded dog! After two rides my headlight would no longer turn on, turns out it was a bad rotor, replaced it and she is back running good again. So I noticed my carb boots were a bit cracked, I thought that might have something to do with the popping in the right pipe so I replaced them. While I had the carbs off I decided to see what jetting I had in them so I drained the float bowls, and removed all the screws and for the life of me could not remove the bowls. Then I noticed that the PO had used some type of sealant in place of the gaskets, could see it in one of the bowl screw holes. So I have no idea what kind of sealant had been used, and I have no way to get the bowls off. Any tips or suggestions on that end would be much appreciated. So anyways, Im cafe'ing this bike over the winter and I ordered a new exhaust from Gordonscott, and in preparation for the new exhaust I removed the old stock exhaust. The right side was completely missing a crush washer. So I have a new set of crush gaskets, new plugs, and Im just waiting on my exhaust, hopefully this will eliminate the small yet annoying popping from the right pipe. I still however have sealed float bowls lol, havent worked out yet how to get into them without damaging the carbs! Ahhh PO's, I used to be one, now I cant stand them lol.

One thing you might try is to suspend the carbs in heated water so that the water line is right at the bowl parting line and let it heat up good. That might loosen the sealant a bit. If it doesn't, at least you won't have damaged anything by trying.

One thing you might try is to suspend the carbs in heated water so that the water line is right at the bowl parting line and let it heat up good. That might loosen the sealant a bit. If it doesn't, at least you won't have damaged anything by trying.

Worth a shot, like you said no damage in trying!

with the drain plug out so water will be inside also, maybe a light sideways tap with a non-marring hammer (rubber or plastic)

Heat will do it. Unless it's heatproof sealer. The things to avoid are melting your plastic floats, and having an explosion. Strong liquid paint stripper in that lip with the carb upside down for a couple of days might do something.

Last edited:
I think I will start with soaking it in hot water first, then some light taps with a 1lb dead blow hammer. Last thing I want to do is heat it too much lol, that and try and stick something under the bowl and pry it off.

I can see layin it on my knee and smackin it a glancin blow with a piece of 2x4.

Could also get a small clamp and straddle the bowls and put pressure on then enough so any softening of the goo, (whilst in hot water), will pries them a bit

Alright here's one for you guys. Found a custom port job in my XT head today.... using JB weld......to form a "D" shaped intake port......i won't even mention the carnage inside the rest of the head/engine.....

Attachments

• 1525268_10153737804325113_211030597_n.jpg
    1525268_10153737804325113_211030597_n.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 178
Saved this one from the scrapyard. PO left it to rot outside.... I got it for free w/title.

016-1.jpg

Alright here's one for you guys. Found a custom port job in my XT head today.... using JB weld......to form a "D" shaped intake port......i won't even mention the carnage inside the rest of the head/engine.....

You mean JB weld DOESNT fix everything????:wtf: Wow and I though my sealed carb bowls were bad lol, good luck with that!

Here's a couple I found on my '81 special

Cam chain adjuster had this nut and washer just hanging out under the acorn nut. Not sure what the purpose was but after proper adjustment the bike runs and sounds good.

20130919_191937_zps3e300aa5.jpg

when I pulled the carbs apart, looks like PO tried to scrape off the old varnish when he was monkeying around in there. A little scotch bright and they look good now.

20130919_194732_zps66e26613.jpg

Yeah man it's ridiculous. Luckily I have a donor engine and am only stealing some performance parts out of that one.

Actually I think I have seen that using JB weld to shape intakes is a legitimate hod rod trick?

Google, Did that LOL, found some interesting pro's and cons. But it seems it will work.

Back