gear shift pedal

blank slate

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
gear shift pedal shifter, not sure what it's called, but when it goes in too far it spins around and doesn't allow for shifting to occur. I tried to tighten the bolt but then the head snapped off. so i drilled out the bit that was left and put a hex bolt. i aslo put two washers to keep the shifter from sliding in. is this going to be a problem?

I'm going to go look at diagrams now to see if I'm missing a piece between shifter and the side cover.

2ex3rk6.jpg

29ffmrl.jpg

Last edited:
You need to check the splines on both, and also see if the shifter is to large for the shaft, if the splines are worn off of either that part will need to be replaced. A couple of pictures of the splines will also help us.

does the whole shaft push in a lot? is there a e clip on the shaft were it enters the case? if not, a 9/16th e clip should be there. if the clip isn't there, the shaft wont shift when pushed in. The splines look a little chewed, but not bad. seen worse that worked.
I tried to find a metric e clip for the shift shaft, 15mm was too big, couldn't find a 14mm, a 13mm was too small, 9/16 was golden. snapped right on.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But the chain guard part behind the hand will need to be removed to check or access the c clip that retains the whole shaft from pushing in and not engaging the star gear thing on the other side?

This may not apply to you, but may be worth checking.

My shift lever had always been a PITA. Difficult to remove (have to spread the clamp first), required heavy-handed tightening, and always felt like it was on the verge of slipping on the splines. So, couple of years ago, decided to take a closer look.

First thing I noticed was that the clamping bolt ran at a bit of angle. The bolthead didn't make flat/square contact with the top of the shift lever's clamp. The part of the bolthead that made first contact was over the shaft area, severly reducing its clamping leverage. The clamp bolt's hole and threads formed a disadvantageous angle, as seen in this pic:

GearShiftA01.jpg

The solution was to recut the bolthead's seating area on the shifter's clamp, as seen in this pic:

GearShiftA04.jpg

Then, a washer would fit in the recess, spacing the bolt upward, so it wouldn't scrub in there.

GearShiftA05.jpg

Now the bolt is aligned with its seat, and the clamping force is vastly increased. No more loose feel.

GearShiftA06.jpg

Yes even on low mile bikes splines can be worn. If the clamp bolt gets loose this lets the shifter move on the shaft. This causes extra wear on the splines.
To remove the shaft guard you need to remove the bolt on the starter gear cover, just below the guard, you need to loosen, but not remove the case nut just below and to the rear of the guard.
Then the guard slips off the shaft.
The E-clip and maybe a washer are on the shaft behind the guard.
Sometimes there was a washer, sometimes not, depends on how much the shat moved in/out, if a lot they added the washer.
Leo

Something's not right yet, the bolt fits in the groove in the shaft, locking the lever into position in and out. That's why the bolt has to be removed to pull the lever off the shaft. IF the lever is correctly tightened the shifter will be as one piece with the shaft, it will have NO play. The threads in the lever are very strong, the correct bolt is a special, high tensile piece, the metric equivalent of grade 8. Yes you need to remove the chain "guard" to see the E clip. Any slop on the shift lever will quickly destroy the shaft splines making a much bigger problem.

Yes, you shouldn't need to stack washers on the shaft between the shift lever and the case. I have encountered many loose shift levers on these bikes. The bolt is as tight as it goes and the two halves of the split in the side are touching, but the lever still wiggles on the shaft. This is just asking for trouble and a stripped spline. My fix is to file the slot a bit so the lever clamps down tighter on the shaft.

Yes, you shouldn't need to stack washers on the shaft between the shift lever and the case. I have encountered many loose shift levers on these bikes. The bolt is as tight as it goes and the two halves of the split in the side are touching, but the lever still wiggles on the shaft. This is just asking for trouble and a stripped spline. My fix is to file the slot a bit so the lever clamps down tighter on the shaft.

Yep, done that before with a hacksaw too, to widen the gap to get a tighter fit.

Stop messing around, get that sucker tight, this thread bothers me. Those metal shavings in your picture hurt my tummy.

Scott

Yesterday I went to work on the bike and as I was going home the pedal shift no longer had any bite, so I was stuck on 1st gear trying to get home. It sucked balls. Luckily I made it to a relative's place a mile away and ordered a new pedal shift from XS650direct.

Hope it works.............but it looks like the damage is on the shaft instead of the pedal. This is an issue that should have been tended to immediately after noticing the problem. You gotta know what's going on beneath you, especially on a bike this old. Scolding you? Yeah, I'd like to. You must be related to my brother-in-law.:laugh:

Scott

Back