Got a free xs2 today

DC Cycle Works

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
9B7864F3-8D85-41CA-B60F-E7F1AEE0E02D.jpeg
it hasn’t shown up yet but a buddy of mine is bringing it up to Oregon from Nevada, he said he doesn’t want it so I could have it...even has a title so I couldn’t say no.
Someone has painted the tank flat black and looks like put filler over the emblem mounts but I already talked to a painter friend of mine that said he would get it all painted once it’s here back to how it should be. The fenders and side covers come with it they just aren’t in the picture he sent me. The only thing he said that’s missing on it was the seat so if anyone has any leads on one please let me know. I have always wanted an xs2 so I’m pretty excited. I do have a favor to ask though, anyone has has a pretty much stock xs2 would you mind posting pictures what anything you can do once it gets here I can see what’s right and what’s wrong on it. I don’t plan on restoring it (right now anyways). But I would like to just clean it up and have it as stock as possible. I’d really like to see up close paint jobs so we can get this one squared away, handlebars, controls, really anything up close so I can start cleaning this thing up. Thanks in advance guys!

WOW - score!!

Check out Mailman's new thread on his XS2 restoration and there was another one recently from the UK which is also beautifully done.

Pete

View attachment 115863 it hasn’t shown up yet but a buddy of mine is bringing it up to Oregon from Nevada, he said he doesn’t want it so I could have it...even has a title so I couldn’t say no.
Someone has painted the tank flat black and looks like put filler over the emblem mounts but I already talked to a painter friend of mine that said he would get it all painted once it’s here back to how it should be. The fenders and side covers come with it they just aren’t in the picture he sent me. The only thing he said that’s missing on it was the seat so if anyone has any leads on one please let me know. I have always wanted an xs2 so I’m pretty excited. I do have a favor to ask though, anyone has has a pretty much stock xs2 would you mind posting pictures what anything you can do once it gets here I can see what’s right and what’s wrong on it. I don’t plan on restoring it (right now anyways). But I would like to just clean it up and have it as stock as possible. I’d really like to see up close paint jobs so we can get this one squared away, handlebars, controls, really anything up close so I can start cleaning this thing up. Thanks in advance guys!

Wow!....sometimes ya get Lucky !

Ya I feel pretty lucky, I’ve always wanted one of these.
Gary, what paint did you use for the repaint? I know it’s just about impossible to get the actual Yamaha colors so I’m hoping to just find something close, but since I don’t have anything in person to go off of it’s kind of tough, any suggestions?
Thanks for those links I will check them out tonight after I get the kids to bed

It's all House of Kolor, their finest (smallest flake) silver base coat, I'm no longer sure which red, Apple Red would be my guess.

Good luck on the XS2. Cant tell by the picture but did the cut the rear off the frame?

Hey guys, hopefully the bike will be here this weekend (or the following weekend, hopefully sooner I’m getting excited). So then I can get a better idea of what I’m working with and I will post some better pictures. I’m curious if there is an easy well to tell an xs2 seat pan from any other xs650? The oldest one I’ve had so far is a 77. My buddy I’m getting the bike from said the xs2 is missing the seat but he has a couple seat pans he will send with it. Curious how to know if they are for an xs2? Any suggestions?

If you are pick'n it up... try each seat..with the fuel tank on... does the hinges align.. ? on the Xs2.. they have a lever-loop latch seat lock...does the bottom rubber bushings contact the frame correctly. Pick the best pan possible... there may be acid pin holes from the battery....if they'r not heavy a good welder can cut and replace that section. Then sand blast and this is one place where powder coating is a good idea.
how's things in Bend... ? I'm originally from south of you.. K Falls.

If you are pick'n it up... try each seat..with the fuel tank on... does the hinges align.. ? on the Xs2.. they have a lever-loop latch seat lock...does the bottom rubber bushings contact the frame correctly. Pick the best pan possible... there may be acid pin holes from the battery....if they'r not heavy a good welder can cut and replace that section. Then sand blast and this is one place where powder coating is a good idea.
how's things in Bend... ? I'm originally from south of you.. K Falls.
I’m not picking it up, but my buddy is delivering it with all the xs parts he has so I can still try them on for size. And if something needs welded I can do that with my rig machine. Thank you! I gotta update my profile, it says North bend which is on the coast next to coos bay, a real shit hole haha, but I did used to live in central Oregon Bend also, I loved it there but getting a bit to expensive to live there on a motorcycle mechanics salary lol. Got a few friend in Klamath as well. Now I’m back to Medford where I was born and raised working for Harley Davidson

7ACCB807-B173-4F7B-AFC6-88181607F14E.jpeg
Well I may have scored, seems there are two xs2 seat pans with the bike so that’s a win but upon inspection of another picture I had of the bike I’m thinking it doesn’t have the original carbs on it (surprise surprise). I’m thinking maybe 76-79 bs-38s, does that look right to anyone else, also looks like something is up with that kicker arm, not all the way up.

Yes looks like later linked carbs not a bad thing but they won't fit with the stock side covers. And they will NEVER run right with cheap pod filters. At least the wiring looks good......Kick start could just mis indexed on the shaft or it could be misassembled inside. Like a comment to a newby there is NO such thing as a free motorcycle, and I've had several given to me.

Well I knew I would have to spend some money on this ting to make it right so I’m not to worried about that part (not that I have any money, but that has never seemed to stop me before) but I do want to make it as original as possible, so if the carbs won’t work with the stock side covers (which is probably why they are off in the pictures). Then I will start the hunt for the right ones. He said he thought there was another set of carbs for it and he would look for them. Fingers crossed he finds them and they are the right one. As for those pod filters they were gonna be the first thing to go in the trash when it gets here. Like I said I would like to make it as original as possible so I was going to try to find a stock air box too, but curious what your thoughts are on those compared to the uni pod filters, I wouldn’t be against upgrades like that if they make the bike run a little better

Uni's are better but my experience has been that there is no better set up than the stock airboxes, of any year. 70-75 carbs will fit (and look) like the 72's you may get a better running bike with 74-75 carbs.

Back