Health Thread

Hi Ben,
if I could learn to do it then you can too. Drink your coffee straight black, that is.
You'll soon get to appreciate the pure taste and pandering to your sweet tooth with synthetic sugar is a bad thing.
Sugar substitutes will keep reinforcing your taste buds' craving for sweetness and did you ever check what those synthetics are made from?
That's a real coffee drinker. You can really taste it that way

I think I'll stick with my honey. It's not processed just bee piss.
Try this; Tupelo honey from Smiley Honey Co. We bought some in the Piggly Wiggly in Apalachicola, Fla. The Tupelo tree blossoms only 2 weeks a year and the bees make the honey during that time. It's very fragrant and doesn't crystalize. You can get it online from Smiley. I only use 4 drops in a mug of hot water.

I There is a general rule, if you are not suffering from insulin resistance, which is calories in and calories out. That is, if you take in more calories than you use, you will gain weight and vise-versa.

Insulin resistance has nothing whatsoever to do with calories in calories out .... where did you read this ?

There is also no direct correlation between the amount of calories one eats and weight gain......... its just not that simplistic.

Nor is there any correlation between exercise and Diabetes ...otherwise why is it that some Athletes get Diabetes and clinically obese people do not !

Bananas are a good source of potassium but they also have the highest concentration of carbohydrates and sugars ........ they are definitely not an ideal fruit for a Diabetic to eat .

Insulin resistance has nothing whatsoever to do with calories in calories out .... where did you read this ?

There is also no direct correlation between the amount of calories one eats and weight gain......... its just not that simplistic.

Nor is there any correlation between exercise and Diabetes ...otherwise why is it that some Athletes get Diabetes and clinically obese people do not !

Bananas are a good source of potassium but they also have the highest concentration of carbohydrates and sugars ........ they are definitely not an ideal fruit for a Diabetic to eat .
I was quoting the senior medical reporter on the news who tries to simplify all the complex physiologic actions in the body concerning a healthy way to eat and live in the short time allotted in his report. I did not make a correlation between exercise and diabetes, I simply stated that I am not affected by that malady. And in my case, exercise keeps me fit and when I do not exercise, I will tend to gain up to ten pounds, especially in winter. But by weighing myself daily and exercising regularly, my weight generally does not fluctuate more than 5 lbs. When you have malabsorbtion syndrome like I have, your intestines have a hard time processing nutrients from foods you eat. In order to get these nutrients you must eat simple sugars which are readily available to be used. Bananas are a good source of simple sugar and I was advised by my integrative medicine doctor to eat them. On the other hand, dextrose, found in cane sugar is not advisable for me. and as you noted for anyone else for that matter.

'I was quoting the senior medical reporter on the news who tries to simplify all the complex physiologic actions in the body concerning a healthy way to eat and live in the short time allotted in his report.'

well that reporter was talking out his .ars*........... Why are you taking advice from a TV reporter ? :) A TV reporter is unlikely to be trained and qualified to give nutrition and dietary advice ?

Simple carbs and sugars will mostly get absorbed into the blood stream in the small intestine long before it reaches your colon where your malabsorbtion issue is likely to be.
the problem with eating sugars is that they can promote the overgrowth of unwanted bacteria in the gut which can be the cause of colitus and IBS .

I'm surprised that you weren't recommended to eat a good probiotic and a complete food like Complan which is a specially formulated food that is easy for the body to digest and contains concentrated energy and essential minerals and vitamins that you will be losing through your leaky gut.

we were talking about following a low carb high fat Ketogenic diet because we are both Diabetic .

As usual you didn't bother to read the whole thread .

Diabetics cannot eat any sugar and if you wern't so ignorant you would have looked up Diabetes and informed yourself before joining a conversation you clearly know nothing about

Honey is loaded with Sugars whereas Butter and bacon have no sugar :umm:

What a load of crap, blaming me for posting a comment you don't like .............This thread has bounced all over the place....maybe if you took some of your own advice your ailments may not be so severe .......Another excuse to have a go at me and call me names.......yea scratch your head

What a load of crap, blaming me for posting a comment you don't like .............This thread has bounced all over the place....maybe if you
What a load of crap, blaming me for posting a comment you don't like .............This thread has bounced all over the place....maybe if you took some of your own advice your ailments may not be so severe .......Another excuse to have a go at me and call me names.......yea scratch your head
5 Warning Signs You May Be Having a Stroke
1) Sudden numbness in the face, arm or leg (especially on one side of the body)
2) Sudden confusion or trouble speaking or understanding speach
3) Sudden vision problems on one side or both
4) Sudden difficulty walking or dizziness, loss of balance or problems with coordination
5) Severe headache with no known cause

Hi Paul,
too right!
I went salt free 24 years ago after a heart attack and I'd swear that restaurants make their soups out of 50% sea water.
Two days ago, I used Herb Ox chicken bullion to braise some chicken leg quarters. I'm on 40 mg Prednisone and an hour later, my left leg blew up. I thought the Herb Ox in the jar was sodium free, like the packets I bought, but instead a tablespoon had 820 mgs of sodium. I found out because my sock got really tight. I tossed the stuff away. Your body needs some salt, especially when it's hot and you're sweating. There is a "sodium pump" in the nervous system. Dehydration accompanied with low salt content causes listlessness and irregular heart beat. If you remember,( or husker du) Thor Heyerdahl's "Kon Tiki" they realized they had to take a mouthful of sea water once a day because their freshwater wasn't supplying the minerals they needed.

'I was quoting the senior medical reporter on the news who tries to simplify all the complex physiologic actions in the body concerning a healthy way to eat and live in the short time allotted in his report.'

well that reporter was talking out his .ars*........... Why are you taking advice from a TV reporter ? :) A TV reporter is unlikely to be trained and qualified to give nutrition and dietary advice ?

Simple carbs and sugars will mostly get absorbed into the blood stream in the small intestine long before it reaches your colon where your malabsorbtion issue is likely to be.
the problem with eating sugars is that they can promote the overgrowth of unwanted bacteria in the gut which can be the cause of colitus and IBS .

I'm surprised that you weren't recommended to eat a good probiotic and a complete food like Complan which is a specially formulated food that is easy for the body to digest and contains concentrated energy and essential minerals and vitamins that you will be losing through your leaky gut.
Edema?
Lymphedema?
I,m in contact with someone I met walking the hallways for exercise, dragging an IV pole. We formed a little support group. We are close in age and he's on the same meds for basically the same intestinal problem, and we compare notes. Prednisone causes your legs to swell up and makes you pee a lot, and gives you a voracious appetite and causes sleep deprivation. If you use too much sodium, it makes the leg swelling worse, and in my case I've had something called a "Hydrolic Effect Injury" to my left leg from wacking the inside of my left knee on a utility pole one night on black ice on my Sportster. The doctor compared it to hitting a steak with a sledge hammer, a serious soft tissue injury. All the veins blew out from the sudden pressure, my leg blew up three times the size for a month and, now is always slightly larger than the right leg. That happened 40 years ago. The only visible injury is some small varicose veins around the ankle. I try to maintain circulation by regular exercise, walking and biking whenever I can. Another good thing in my favor is I have a double femoral artery in both legs, which affords more diffuse blood flow. This was discovered when they needed a volunteer to test a new ultrasound machine in work. I had a doppler U/S last Tuesday which came up negative for DVT. Another side effect of Prednisone is this prolific writing style, I've recently acquired as I burn up in the atmosphere. (I'm going to bet that you're sorry you asked...) :unsure:

I,m in contact with someone I met walking the hallways for exercise, dragging an IV pole. We formed a little support group. We are close in age and he's on the same meds for basically the same intestinal problem, and we compare notes. Prednisone causes your legs to swell up and makes you pee a lot, and gives you a voracious appetite and causes sleep deprivation. If you use too much sodium, it makes the leg swelling worse, and in my case I've had something called a "Hydrolic Effect Injury" to my left leg from wacking the inside of my left knee on a utility pole one night on black ice on my Sportster. The doctor compared it to hitting a steak with a sledge hammer, a serious soft tissue injury. All the veins blew out from the sudden pressure, my leg blew up three times the size for a month and, now is always slightly larger than the right leg. That happened 40 years ago. The only visible injury is some small varicose veins around the ankle. I try to maintain circulation by regular exercise, walking and biking whenever I can. Another good thing in my favor is I have a double femoral artery in both legs, which affords more diffuse blood flow. This was discovered when they needed a volunteer to test a new ultrasound machine in work. I had a doppler U/S last Tuesday which came up negative for DVT. Another side effect of Prednisone is this prolific writing style, I've recently acquired as I burn up in the atmosphere. (I'm going to bet that you're sorry you asked...) :unsure:
I just got calls from two people at the hospital, tonight.
First, from the ultrasound department who told me the left leg is fine, no circulation problems, just a reaction to Prednisone.
Second from the hospital after care nurse, a case worker assigned to me, whom I've been in weekly communication with since September of 2018. Her name is Kelly. She, coincidently suffers from Crohn's Disease and has had two operations on her intestines. We discussed low carb diets, tonight. she told me I must eat more carbohyrates to gain the weight back that I lost, but to try to go gluten free. I did try to eliminate all carbohydrates as part of the experiment called the elimination diet, which worked when I suffered from Clostridium Difficile, two years ago and it worked by starving the harmful bacteria and I replaced beneficial bacteria with a live probiotic which I take every day. But, this time, I do not suffer from C-Diff as lab work demonstrated on several occasions. When I eliminated carbs, I was losing weight at an even faster rate and lost not just fat, but muscle mass. I was unable to tolerate most foods people can eat on a low carb diet. Obviously, this problem is not like diabetes, and the low carb diet is not for everyone, and as this article says," First consult your doctor before going on a low carb diet." It is dangerous for someone who has become malnourished. I can attest to this. Since being released from the hospital and in the past few weeks, I have gained back half the weight I lost, started walking, using my exercise bike, and doing push ups, sit ups, leg lifts and free weights, which caused my muscles to immediately respond. If I did not keep myself in good shape before this happened to me, I may not have survived. And when my colitis clears up, I will resume a diet lower in carbohydrate, once again.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 122
Haha, fully understand.
My aunt (a spittin' image of granny Clampett) was on Prednisone...

View attachment 136828
If anyone needs a heart valve, this looks like what they will be doing in the near future as it is much less invasive and a lot safer. The new valve is placed in the artery near the bad valve without opening up the patient. The recovery time is greatly reduced.

Attachments

• Heart Valve, Tappanzee at night 005.jpg
    Heart Valve, Tappanzee at night 005.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 113
Hi Goldenboy,
thanks for starting this thread, thought my own experience would add to it.
I had a heart attack at age 59. Symptoms? Felt like shit to the extent that I had my wife drive me to the local Hospital.
"Heart attack" they cried and ten minutes later I was in hospital pyjamas in the ICU. As it turned out, only a mild one, lucky me.
That was 22 years ago so my daily Vitamin E and 81mg coated aspirin must be working OK.
Having a second heart attack has never worried me but when I reached age 67 I ran scared the whole year because my Dad was
that age when he had a fatal stroke. My Mother died of heart failure at 82 so next year will be another scary one.
And no statins for me. From what I've read, statins fuck you up worse than the problems they're supposed to fix.
I thought you might want to see this. It's all over the news, today. Yeah, 11 years ago, I had a heart attack and my doctor put me on 81 mg aspirin. Then, about two years ago, I started having bleeding issues, no matter what pills I took. I'm not saying it's the causative factor, but if prone to bleeding, this treatment could be dangerous. It's been almost 4 months without aspirin, for me. I'm not risking this problem, again in light of this new recommendation. Everyone who takes aspirin should be in contact with their doctors to see if they should go off it ASASP. If aspirin was just introduced to the market, instead of the turn of the last century, it would have a tough time passing FDA guidlines as it reacts with at least 300 other drugs.
Aspirin 001.jpg

I thought you might want to see this. It's all over the news, today. Yeah, 11 years ago, I had a heart attack and my doctor put me on 81 mg aspirin. Then, about two years ago, I started having bleeding issues, no matter what pills I took. I'm not saying it's the causative factor, but if prone to bleeding, this treatment could be dangerous. It's been almost 4 months without aspirin, for me. I'm not risking this problem, again in light of this new recommendation. Everyone who takes aspirin should be in contact with their doctors to see if they should go off it ASASP. If aspirin was just introduced to the market, instead of the turn of the last century, it would have a tough time passing FDA guidlines as it reacts with at least 300 other drugs.View attachment 137141

Hi GB,

were they the 81mg coated delayed release aspirin
and did your bleeding problem stop when you stopped taking them?​
The ones that those same doctors say to crunch up and dry-swallow if you think you are having a heat attack?
WTF, wait a month or so and they'll be saying something different.
BTW Is this the month they say that red wine is good for you?

Hi GB,

were they the 81mg coated delayed release aspirin
and did your bleeding problem stop when you stopped taking them?​
The ones that those same doctors say to crunch up and dry-swallow if you think you are having a heat attack?
WTF, wait a month or so and they'll be saying something different.
BTW Is this the month they say that red wine is good for you?
I know what you're saying, Fred. It's a crap shoot. No my bleeding did not stop when I stopped taking aspirin, but anything you take that may cause bleeding, or if you have a history of ulcerative colitis will compound the issue. Now, I'm also wondering about omega 3 fish oil. I was told not to take both aspirin and fish oil as this can also thin your blood too much. When the mucous membranes of the intestines become inflamed, they take a long time to heal. I've been talking to my cardiologist for 2 years now, about reducing the aspirin as I had minor bleeding issues and microscopic blood in my urine. He was adamant about the medical guide lines which urged people with a history of heart disease to take a daily low dose aspirin and strongly recommended that I continue to do so. I went to a hemotologist who checked my clotting factor and red blood cell count. They are OK. But the aspirin may cause inflamation that will cause bleeding ulcers. "The medicine will get you.'

Back