Hi all, 1st time rebuild

nozila

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently acquired a non running xs650 for under $2k - which here in Australia is considered cheap since they are getting much more rare by the minute.

Any who, the previous owner didn't know much or took take of the bike well it seems. He was told a conrod let loose

So I pulled off the sump/oil filter and I see metal/copper flakes and pieces of metal.

The question becomes, where do I start now? The bike is stripped by I've never taken a motor apart before. Do I just undo the acorn nuts of the heads and go from there?

Nozila, where are you? Brave move buying a $2k bike that you have no idea where to start to get it running well done!!!

I have manuals - I also have a yamaha mechanic that I use after hrs when/if required but would rather do most of the work myself before having to pay others.

Im in Sth Aus. I think 2K is considerably cheap when you factor in cost of running example people are asking - which is ridiculous. Although I bought my XS1100, which is also in the photo below for $500 running and all.

Here a photo of it at the moment.

img1560xa.jpg

And here is the metal filings/pieces in the sump. Its either a conrod or piston from the looks of the shapes of the metal.

img1564wl.jpg

Thanks for identifying that for me.

I notice when I crank the engine over by hand, the engine gets stuck on the exhaust valve with the piston on the left cylinder. Safe to say that perhaps the metal pieces came from my right piston then.

I will hopefully tear into it this weekend and find out.

Good luck with it and remember to photograph then bag and tag everything so you have a guide on what goes where when putting it back together.

Thanks. Let's hope it's just the top end and the bottom end is fine. I have no idea how the piston pieces ended up in the sump. Passing through the crank etc I hope they are ok

With that degree of destruction I'd be splitting the cases to check it all out. It might even be worth allowing for a set of 277 crank and rods to turn it into a positive. Contact hughs handbuilt for that.

Yeah I've already spoke to Hugh and cost of postage to Australia, if I decide to rephase. Putting together list of prices for parts for rebuild ATM

With that degree of destruction I'd be splitting the cases to check it all out. It might even be worth allowing for a set of 277 crank and rods to turn it into a positive. Contact hughs handbuilt for that.

Yeah I've already spoke to Hugh and cost of postage to Australia, if I decide to rephase. Putting together list of prices for parts for rebuild ATM

Not knocking Hughs handbuilt at all.

You guys are nuts. There are enough people here to do a rephrase and it is a simple enough job to split a crank. and get a good engineer to press it back together. :shrug:

skull, nuts I'm not but uninformed I'm happy to wear. Feel free to email me please mate I'm not afraid to split the cases (though it unchartered territory for me) but I don't have contacts to split and weld the crank up and being time poor I'd be inclined to go with a reputable source for that and hugh's is the only reputable source I know of and trust highly.

More to the point though, I was thinking that nozila would likely need a new set of rods and could probably pay for a set from the states and have Hugh rephase them for the price it would cost him to source a straight set here. Maybe I don't have my ear to the right trees but I have the impression that parts are pretty pricey and hard to come buy over here.

Peter Kommer is a pretty good local source I should plug though.
http://members.westnet.com.au/yam650/

Austblue is right in a sense that it more logical and sensible to source parts from the USA then mod it and ship it here then it is to buy locally in Australia.

It is rather expensive here for parts - if it even becomes available which is rare in itself.

Although in all honesty, at the end of the day I just want a bike that run - since it was bought with a dead engine. Rephase or not, isn't the point.

We all know that it comes down to the knowledge and experience of putting these motors together - thus the cost of labour plays a major factor. In saying that, this is why I started this thread as my labour is free but my knowledge so far is limited. And that right now is the only barrier.

Haven't touched the motor as I wanted to. Ended up working on simplifying the wiring on my other bike instead.

Although the long weekend coming up should allow me time to change that.

Back