Hi all, 1st time rebuild

You sure are right Anlaf.

I just home inspecting xs650 parts from an ebay seller that lived locally. Picking them up tomorrow.

He had a crank/rod, barrels, gears, top case, rocker cover and some misc all for $100. In Aus, thats really cheap. Quite happy for that I would think.

My question is, I know that the case's and rocker/head needs to be matching. So did I answer my own question by asking if you can mix match them?

Anywho, it seems the xs650 might be on the road sooner rather than later. Now to get a set of piston kits.

Not sure what question you're asking about mixing parts? Yes, crankcase halves are matched as are heads and their top covers. Other than that, things can be switched around - different cylinder sets on different crankcases, different heads (with matching top covers of course) on different cylinders.

Thanks. Yes, that's a shame. He is giving me the top half of crank case but there is no bottom half to go with it.

Over the weekend, I managed to clean the case. Didnt go down the route of sandblasting and instead opted to just use petrol and some elbow grease, looked a lot better then when I started.

Now to decide whether to go big bore kit or stay with original barrels.

Nozila,

I am going through the same scenario as you. I bought a non-runner and had one piston completely disintegrated. I think I was luckier in that the crank was salvageable. Hugh has is and is rephasing and replacing some bearings.

Keep it up. I will update my thread with pics and posts as I make headway. Let's share what we find as we work on our builds (by the way, I have very little engine take-apart / reassembly myself. Last time i did was the 5hp Briggs & Stratton small engine).

My thread: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33861

Back