Hi all, 1st time rebuild

Ok, its been nearly 3 months since I have got this bike. But last weekend I have picked up a nice set of sockets which should help immensely with taken the engine apart this weekend. Well, at least taken the engine out of the frame and inspection the head - I hope.

$2k is cheap ... I paid $3500 sight unseen and 'trusted' the dude that it was all ok.
They have been selling for between $2k and $6k for a stock XS unless you get lucky on a barn find or lost ebay one.

PM me if you want a contact with alot of parts - located in North West Sydney (unless AustBlue already gave you the same info ;))

Until I open the engine, not sure of damage to internals.

I have an opportunity to pick up another xs650 that is running for a reasonable price. Although contemplating if 5 bikes is a good idea considering I need to rebuild this first.

Been a while since I've update this thread.

Have started the rebuild by removing the head from the motor. Although, I think a bolt is stripped - advance side plate (refer to pic with arrow).

gvrf.jpg

Does anyone know hope I can get it out? I think it may stop me from removing the cam if its still in place.

Also, my carby's butterfly/throttle is seized closed. What have you guys done to loosen it? Do I have to completely disassemble the carbs?

0ldg.jpg

For the screw, I would re-install the other two so all the pressure isn't on that stripped one, then try a hand impact on it (the kind you hit with a hammer). And use the larger #3 tip, that's the proper size for those screws. That one is probably all buggered up to begin with because the P.O. was trying a #2 tip on it. If that doesn't work then your only option would be to carefully drill the head off.

For the carb butterflies, penetrating oil and a little heat should do it. From the condition the carbs look to be in, it's probably a safe bet to figure the butterfly shaft seals need replacing. To do that, you will need to split the bank apart. The shafts both withdraw towards the inside.

What he says, get a hand impact wrench you NEED one, trust us. I will often place the bit and "tap" it into the buggered head with a hammer and drift before I put the impact on the bit to try loosening. This step will help reform the screw head to better fit the bit and reduce "cam out" As always with stuck threads alternate; tighten, loosen, lube till it will turn out freely.

Stuck at the moment until i can remove that bolt. So I will get an impact wrench and see if I can get it out. Thanks guys.

If you haven't yet, hit that screw with your favorite rust buster now. It never hurts.

I have removed the engine head and jugs. Now I realize where the pieces that ended up in the sump came from. With such damage, I guess I will be splitting the bottom end. Pics to come.

Nozila, I was expecting to see a shredded piston, but, wow!. Looks like a 533 piston fitted to a 447 conrod - result, bang!

What number is on the conrod?

If it is 447 then you may be a lucky bloke - the aluminium piston would disintegrate before any crankshaft parts, and the upward force on the cylinder sleeve destroyed the lower section that sits in the casing.

Anlaf

Rods are 447. The rod which had the piston destroyed in had ridiculous left to right,up/down play. My mechanic who helped me removed the head and jugs said that it's likely caused by a bent valve.

Nozila - there is nothing that can't be mended.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the PO attempted to fit 533 pistons, fired up and BANG! The piston came out of the cylinder sleeve (it didn't want to, but there was nothing of its smaller height to keep it in on shorter 447 conrods) - it would be interesting to see a pic of the surviving piston.

New cylinders, piston rings, pistons no problem (I have just replaced mine), then you have the crankshaft assembly to repair - it is a simple structure, and the failure will be easy to spot for a mechanic.

If I am right, the cylinder head might have no damage at all, and the action took place below the valves (but you have the advantage of seeing what's in front of you.

Pics of other piston, cylinder head, valves, and crankshaft (or what you can of it).

Come on, you can get this thing going - there is plenty of help for you.

Anlaf

Back