How rare is a 1978 XS650E standard?

Shovel Jockey

Piano Tuna
Reaction score
Upstate South Carolina mountains, (Moonshiner 28)
Just bought a '78 XS650E "Standard" Haven't seen many of these & wondered if many were made. Mines green. How do they compare with other year models?

Attachments

• photo_2.jpg
    photo_2.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 2,369
  • photo_1.jpg
    photo_1.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 5,516
  • photo_3.jpg
    photo_3.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 1,549
  • photo_4.jpg
    photo_4.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 1,818
  • photo_5.jpg
    photo_5.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 4,843
Last edited:
Not a common model, and not many on this site...................5twins has one. It was the first year for the Special, and it seems everyone wanted the new styling of the Specials. Apparently there was a 1979 Standard, but they are even more rare.

Thats bike is in super condition..................a very good buy on your part.

I like my 78 Special, but if I came upon a 78 Standard, I'd buy it up real quick. I like both styles.

thats 1 nice bike good model with 35mm forks & bigger brakes etc looked at one about a year ago here in Oz USA import not as good yours wanted $5000 which he paid for it from importer sight unseen dont think he sold it, look after it & keep it orginal,its gotter appreciate

Yeah they are a rather rare. I have one, not as nice as yours but a good "easy restoration" candidate. I really like the "British green".

Apart from the extremely rare OU72 factory 750 (250 sold to the public to meet AMA rules), the most collectable of the Yam 650's is the XS1, followed by the F Standard (last year for Standards) and the E Standard. That's a wonderful find, Shovel Jockey--congrats!

Just bought a '78 XS650E "Standard" Haven't seen many of these & wondered if many were made. Mines green. How do they compare with other year models?

I saw a couple of those for sale here in Cali, one in Oakland and one in Lancaster. Neither were in that nice of shape though. :-/

I love that color! I might paint my '78 Special that color, or something close.

Hello S.J. I also have a '78 std in 'Spruce Green '. It looks the same as yours but it needs a bit of touch up on the green side panels. So far i havn't found a match for the colour which is yamaha code SGM OOT4. Only made this colour for 1yr. Also i am in the UK but the bike came from the USA last year. Nice shape that i had been looking for plus great colour.

There was a '77 Special on the Denver CL for sale about 8 months ago. I replied to his post and told him
Yamaha didn't make a '77 Special. He emailed me back with a pic of the title showing it to be a 1977. It must have
been late 1977 or early model '78 still titled '77. Skull, any research/comments on this?

There was a '77 Special on the Denver CL for sale about 8 months ago. I replied to his post and told him
Yamaha didn't make a '77 Special. He emailed me back with a pic of the title showing it to be a 1977. It must have
been late 1977 or early model '78 still titled '77. Skull, any research/comments on this?

Seen some strange things on here when it comes to titled bikes.......who's to say the bike wasn't re-titled by someone and they or the dmv went off the production date on the vin plate and not off the Yamaha model.............this could be why its titled as a 77...............If it was a Japanese import, (to the states very unlikly), that could also make a difference because their models were often different to the rest of the world.

Special models started in 78, production dates started Aug/Sep 77, as you thought. Have found nothing to contradict this. Production dates, when the actual model was made, does have some variations, i have had confirmation that some models have run late into the actual date of manufacture meaning, for example, a 76 could have a final production date of November 76 and a 77 could start their production date as early as September 76...........confused.........Yea it can be

Once upon a time in the US, sales for the new model year started in the summer before the turn of the calendar year, and many states titled by year of sale. That's how a 78 model gets titled as a 77. You'll sometimes see titled vs. model year going the other way, with leftovers. I don't know when all that got straightened out with uniform titling based on VIN.

First anyone has posted that info Griz.

Have heard the Poms had the same, bikes registration date is the model. Maybe it was the same here in Oz as well, (not from here originally), and the vin plates didn't get put on the frames till 77 here. If we want to register, (Title), an unregistered, XS650 77 and later it has to have that plate or no go, but earlier bikes can be re registered because they didn't have a Vin plate to begin with, just the vin no stamped on the steering head

Had mine (standard roadster) for 7yrs now, still love it. Classy colour green. It was imported here (UK) from the USA and was inspected
by the registration guy and was deemed to have been manufactured in 1977 and so has a '77 plate. Suits me.
I put lower bars on it and currently using non standard silencers (noisy). Stripped the lacquer of the aluminium and
keep it hand polished. I have not seen another green one. David.

RG, I just know what I saw...title 1977. I didn't/don't remember the vin# and or whether it was a salvage title. It also wasn't a CO. title.
I didn't believe the seller, so I replied to him and he sent me a copy of the title. I wasn't interested in it other than the claim of a '77
Special. I should have done more research at the time--or not. Thanks Skull and griz for showing the possibilities for the title.

Back