Hydraulic Clutch Conversion - Any Interest?

I stayed late last night in the shop installing a whole new clutch on the test XS. 1 Piece Rod, new HP Friction Plates, Upgraded Throw-Out Bearing, Stiffer Springs and new Hardware... Just took a quick test spin (it is 34 degrees here by the river today!) and without even adjusting it any, this thing is sweet.

The setup I have in this bike should be the "stiffest" clutch most any average XS user would have, and though the lever pull is firm, it works like a charm... The new clutch grabs like crazy, I am spinning the rear tire slamming into 2nd gear, and the Hydraulic clutch seems to be loving it...

I've got 5 people lined up for a free conversion, in order to do some testing on various bikes. I am going to have to keep the hydraulic hose at 50" long (similar to stock length) for now. I am hoping to see how it reacts to various folks setups, and then release it to the rest of you XS650 goons :laugh:

Now that I have tested and found these components to work well, let's see how the other's do. I'll try to get some decent pricing up for you folks... Should be able to stay well within the original budget :thumbsup:

Cool beans!

Hugh,
Do you think the lever pull is firmer than stock or softer? I really want something like this for my wife but want it easier to pull for her. I think She'd rather have a tiny bit of slippage rather than overly firm pull.

Hugh,
Do you think the lever pull is firmer than stock or softer? I really want something like this for my wife but want it easier to pull for her. I think She'd rather have a tiny bit of slippage rather than overly firm pull.

With the stock clutch is was pretty soft to pull. With the upgraded clutch/heavy springs there is more pressure needed to pull the lever, but nearly as bad as the stock setup I've messed with in the past.... Like I said, I should have the stiffest clutch pack/spring combo in there now that you can get, and its not hard at all to pull the lever...

I've never run this stiff of a spring set before due to that reason... Now I can really put some power through the clutch without having my left hand screaming at me within 20 minutes :thumbsup:

Now that I have tested and found these components to work well, let's see how the other's do. I'll try to get some decent pricing up for you folks... Should be able to stay well within the original budget :thumbsup:

How much are we looking at Hugh?

This topic has just been reopened on the UK site that we are members of so it might be worth popping in to say hi and let folks know about this kit.

Hugh, just out of curiosity what master and slave cylinder bores are you using? I was looking at doing a modified Aprilia slave (28mm) or a modified Oberon slave (30mm) and a magura master (13mm) from mikes. I have seen posts by Travis about a 33mm slave with a 13mm master. I was just trying to put together an idea of the ratios that will work. And heck if yours is around the same price as it would be to recreate the wheel so to speak I would definitely get yous.

Hugh, just out of curiosity what master and slave cylinder bores are you using? I was looking at doing a modified Aprilia slave (28mm) or a modified Oberon slave (30mm) and a magura master (13mm) from mikes. I have seen posts by Travis about a 33mm slave with a 13mm master. I was just trying to put together an idea of the ratios that will work. And heck if yours is around the same price as it would be to recreate the wheel so to speak I would definitely get yous.

I can't quite give all that out just yet, I've got a batch of new units headed my way, and I am hoping to do a write-up on the install in just a few days if all goes well...

I'm trying yet 1 more master cylinder, the one I am testing right now works great, but I found another that may look better as far as fit/finish that I want to try as well... When I release this to ya'll, it will be right :thumbsup:

I've got 2 75 XS's that I'm currently working on. One is going cafe, but is currently my only running motorcycle. The other is my friends and it's going to be a cafe bobber, and it is only a frame right now, but as soon you release these Hugh, sign me up for 2!!!!

I've got 2 75 XS's that I'm currently working on. One is going cafe, but is currently my only running motorcycle. The other is my friends and it's going to be a cafe bobber, and it is only a frame right now, but as soon you release these Hugh, sign me up for 2!!!!

I've been considering something like a cafe bobber for one of mine but by the time I get it built there's no telling what it might be.

Hugh - I'm in for sure, building an XS chopper with my boy right now. First road bike for him so it would be good to have a clutch that is a bit easier to pull. I suspect it would cost me more experimenting myself. I have an EVO Industries heavy diaphragm in my FLT and the XS is a harder pull as it sits right now.

Mike

Hey Hugh. Got my PMA in and it is working like a charm. My next shitstorm is my clutch, and I couldn't be more stoked to have you putting out a kit. If there are slots available, I'd like to get one of your first shipments!!!

Subscribed. If you start producing these clutches I will purchase one even before I purchase the bike. Been considering swapping a KTM/Magura but would MUCH rather take your route...

Back