thanks for the help ... the title says a 79 and it does have a 16 rear and 19 front spokes... im trying to also narrow down the stock carb that was on this bike ... im guessing a bs38 ... i need to order a rebuild kit

Before you buy carb kits, be aware that about the only usable parts in there are the float bowl gaskets and the float valves. The needles and jets ae probaly wrong.
If your care ful when removing the float bowl you can reuse the gasket. I might suggest tearing the carbs down, do a good cleaning and inspection. If you find worn parts then just buy what you need. Often cheaper than a kit full of useless parts.
Also once torn down post up a list of all the internal parts, jets, needles, needle jets, pilots. Frome the numbers it will be easier to id your carbs. If strock they will be the 78-79 BS38 carbs, They used very different slides and needles than the earlier carbs.
Leo

inxs,
thanks for posting the engine numbers for model ID but im having a slight problem Im from england and bought a 1979 XS650 Special buth not sure what type it is and the engine number is 447 and thats it. do you have any idea what model special it could be?cheers buddy.

i guess, according to this list, that my husbands bike is an xs-h special II. i hope i'm reading that right. thanks for the list. i'm hoping that this info will help me to find parts for his bike. i want it to be a surprise for him. :)

Just inherited my fathers yamaha 650...no paper work no title, so I don't know what year. I have looked for the numbers on the fork and they read 447-101718. Is the a 75? Please help thanks

I have a 79 special and serial numer is 477-912xxx which doesn't come up other in chart saying AUS So is this bike from Australia ? I'm ordering seat cover and they change in these years . Thanks for any info

SF all except Europe in the Biker.net non American chart.

The 78SE/79SF/79 Special ll/80G Special ll have the hinged from the side stepped seat

Attachments

• xs650SE-2.jpg
    xs650SE-2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 154
I think your number starts 447 not 477. Your 447-912xxx in my chart makes it an 80 SF.
Leo

Hello everyone! new to the forums here and new to the xs650. i recently bought a barn find and the engine frame code starts with 016*** so that would mean that its an 71-72 right? Also did they make an xs650 in 1968? because that is what the title sais the year is? just want to confirm if i have the correct title for the bike.

Thanks in advance!

Did you check your no against the ID PDF file on the first page first post.

Do that then come back if you have some differences or queries

If your title says it's a 68 XS650, that title is not worth much. The first year of the XS650 was called the XS1 and came out for the 1970 model year.
The frame and engine numbers have a prefix before the 6 digits. Like my 75 has a prefix as in 447-108890. The 70-73 years were S650-xxxxxx
Leo

Is it a 77-78 or a 79 model ? the more I look the more confused I become. :doh:

last year my 2F0 US import was identified on here as a 1979 Special ll but I have since seen various conflicting charts stating that it might also be a 1978 E Special ll ?
serial No 2F0-251555

The bike was imported into the UK in 1997 when it was registered and declared manufactured in 1979 (not that that necessarily means anything.)

The bike has covered 18k miles according to the speedo and been upgraded and restored sometime since 1997 so there is no way of knowing how much has been changed on the bike. Although there are some obvious small stuff like regulator, rectifier ,Boyer ignition , clutch plates etc. all the big stuff looks original .

16x 19" wire wheels.
side pivot special style seat
side gas tank filla cap
Mikuni 38mm carbs

Attachments

• xs650 on decking resized.jpg
    xs650 on decking resized.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 186
  • xs650 rear peg mount.JPG
    xs650 rear peg mount.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 174
  • frame ID.jpg
    frame ID.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
There was no Special II made in '78. That model started in '79. For '78, there was only the normal Special with mags. The '79 Special II was rather unique in that it was the only model to have alloy spoke rims on a Special. The rims were not the flanged type as used on the Standard model but more of a normal rim profile.

The chart you post is the same as the Tech chart. Inxs made the chart up from other sites and just about all charts have some sort of discrepancy.
Here are 2 charts that have your bike as 79 ll F.

1:, Scroll down.

2:. Discrepancies in the early models in this chart.

thanks skull :thumbsup:
but now I'm even more confused :doh:

the first link shows my bike to be a 1979 SF ? with a code of 2MO ? whatever that means ? and serial No 2F0-250101 up

Yet the later 1980 3G1 bike has a lower serial number in the same 2F0 range ie 2F0-200101

You can see how It can seem confusing to someone unfamilar with these bikes.

What wheels, tank, foot peg brackets and other identifying components should my bike have would you say?

On the charts the Code no is often different from the serial no letters/numbers.

Yours does seem to have some discrepancy. Your pics show the 79 Special ll wheels and swing arm. yet your ID no is for a SF

Are you sure your prefix is not 4F0-25**** instead of 2F0-25****

Rims look to be alloy, 79 Special ll

Yamaha might have thought they would sell more Standard 79F's and made sure the numbers wouldn't overlap with the Special 79SF

Back