Ignition systems: Boyer Bransden vs Pamco

I think that is what it will come down to is battery requirements for the two and I am looking for minimal in that area so I hope the Pamco is the answer.
jefft

Taking the mechanical advance out of the equation, would it be fair to say Pete's Pamco is for the "set it, forget it, and go cruise rider" vs the Boyer is more for the "Hi Performance minded rider"?

There's nothing particularly "high performance" about it over the Pamco (which does require some maintenance of the advance from time to time). Its just a simple ignition.

John

I love my Boyer, nice piece and they've been making ignitions since 69.

Easy to mess with/time/install, no mechanical advance. Really should be running one with a full size battery and a full 12.4 volts, and I've heard the Gill coils suck balls, but mine has been going strong.

Just to clear up a misunderstanding. 54 inches, Micheal Morse runs 650 Central. Mike LaLonde ran Mike's XS and he sold out last year.
Leo

I have the Boyer System and my bike starts super easy every time Kick or Electric it will fire with very little fight. I did have to replace the battery but i think that was because the guyi bought it off of had left it in storage for a long while. New battery and now it runs like a champ we'll see if that changes with time.

Can someone tell me if the Boyer system with the blue box is better than the digital?

Also does anyone have a contact for Pete that sells the pamco systems?

Thanks

Welcome to the board.
On the Boyer, I can't say which is better. Don't run one.
www.yamahaxs650.com is pete's web site. He's a member here, you might try a pm. He gets busy sometimes and can take a day or two to respond.
Leo

Yes, I do. If you read my signature just below this you will see some of the mods I have done to my 75.
I had the stock dual points at first, tried Mike's Dual lobe cam to run just one set of points. I now run the Pamco, I like it because it made the bike run the best it ever has.
Leo

I have a 80 motor this time so I decided to go the Boyer route. It sucks. I hate it. Shoulda took that money and wiped my ass with it. I have two other XS with Pamco. They run fine,battery less and start on 1-2 kicks.

I used Boyer ignition for over 15 years and I have several issues with it. First is the design. The timing plate mounts on the edge of the ignition housing with a large part of it unsupported. The pickups are posts that hang inside the housing above the magnetic ignition rotor. The timing plate itself is thin and flimsy, and prone to warping. One unit I had warped so badly that the rotor contacted a solder pad on the timing plate, resulting in a 6K rpm breakup that had me running in circles until I pulled the timing plate for a visual inspection. I use a Probe ignition now--American designed and produced, no longer available because guys wouldn't spend a little more money for a lot more quality.

Re. the Pamco, right, Pete's e-advance ignition will fire and advance on as little as 6 volts, and that's a great thing for getting home if a charging problem develops 50 miles from nowhere. But at low voltage it won't deliver good combustion. If your motor suddenly starts acting like carburetion is too rich, check voltage to your coil before you start playing with leaner jets.

Previously I messed with Triumph's and used several Boyer Bransden ignition's and they worked fine. My two xs650's both use Pamco's with E-advance , they work great and the customer service from Pete is tops.

Last edited:
Back