is this a good deal? First xs650 purchase!

jonasblack

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I found a 19981 Yamaha XS650 in mint condition. I mean there isn't a scratch on her at all. She has upgraded brake lines, shorai lithium battery, improved clutch, upgraded fuses, and a new exhaust. She started on first kick and ran like a top. She also only has 4,000 miles on her. The bike is seriously immaculate, and looks like it's never been dropped. Chrome, paint, and everything else looks brand new.

Now for the price. He was asking 3995, but I was able to talk him to 3. He will not budge off of 3. I was wondering if this is worth it. It's one of my dream bikes, but I don't want to overpay for it. I also feel like I could never find another one of this caliber. It is virtually a brand new bike.

Any feedback? Suggestions? Or is this a fair price?

It's your money,if you like it,buy it. Just know that you will never get that kind of money back out of it. The chances that someone loves it like you do is slim!! You don't talk of miles but I would think you could find a very nice example,and restore for less $. That way you will know what is under you!! Just my thoughts,and you asked.

personally i would never pay that much for a late model xs650. i probably wouldn't dump that kind of cash on an earlier model either unless i had money to burn (and that's far from likely). i like finding these bikes more around 1k or less. i also like to wrench and customize, maybe you don't.

that being said if the bike is really as pristine as you say it is, it -might- be worth around 3k depending on your local market. you could buy one for cheap in lesser condition but cash burns quick on a $200 piece of shit to make it right, especially if you have a shop do the work. all that really matters is, is it worth 3k to you?

In Austin that's probably a fair price for what you describe, from what I saw. Make sure it's the make and model you want though. If you're going sawzall it then it's too much. Get with member Dogbunny who's pretty much got the xs market and xs parts market cornered in Austin.

In the UK it would be a BARGAIN!! But as they say, is it worth that to you? Personally I would go cheaper(especially there by you they are a LOT cheaper!!) and do it up the way I want to do it. I have seen done up bobbers/hardtails go for less than that in the states. Question is if you want/can do the customizing yourself?

Not sure on prices out there but I bought my 74 tx650 a month ago for 700 complete running bike not mint by no means but had a title and Im cutting it up anyways so mint was far from what I was looking for.

The GOOD thing about old japanese bikes: They are not valuable!- guys like me can afford them!!!!! The BAD thing about old japanese bikes: They are not valuable! When its time to sell you/me cannot get crap for them. Its OK- more bikes I can afford to buy!

IF THE BIKE IS IN GREAT CONDITION AND TRULY NEEDS NOTHING BUT A RIDER- AND YOU WONT STARVE YOUR FAMILY BY SPENDING $3000 THEN BUY IT AND ENJOY!

From my point of view it depends entirely on what you want to do with the bike. I spent $1200 for a pretty nice 78'SE two years ago and by now have easily put another $1000 to $1500 in it for improvements to suit my requirements. If you want a reliable stock looking XS650 to just ride and enjoy then $3000 probably isn't over the top (if it's as nice as you say). But if you are thinking tracker, bobber, or even just modded to suit your individuality then you'll be $5000 into a $2000 bike before you know it.

roy

Just a few years ago you could have picked up a nice '81 for less than a grand, but that all changed with the Street Tracker, and other custom ideas. If you have found a sample as nice as you describe and plan to keep it, then $3000 could be cheap.
Whynot2

You're in Austin, the hi-rent district of Texas. It's Spring, highest price season.
The bike is 32 years old, sometimes age trumps mileage. Anything rubber should be examined.
It's immaculate on the outside, but take a flashlight and examine under the seat, and inside and under the tank.
What's the history? A genuine local low-time garage queen, or a restoration pulled into the high-priced Austin market? Why was the exhaust replaced?

I was shopping for a late model SUV there 2 years ago, was led to a pristine Dodge Durango. Climbed under, found all sorts of junkyard 'id marks' on front suspension, buckled front crossmember, lower radiator and condenser. Back in sales office, was presented a 'clean' carfax, and $12,000 purchase order. While looking at the carfax, I said "Looks like they didn't report the front-end impact, probably totalled it without reporting it". I was then offered $5,000. I walked out.

I guess it depends on your local market, but that seems high for an '81.

Then again, if it's really daily-rider ready then it may not be all that bad. You could spend $1,500 on one and you may end up putting just as much into getting it to the point that this bike is in. I'd just really look at how good it really is - or do what I do and get someone that knows better to take a look. :)

get it and keep it. don't mod it. get a basket case cheap if you want a chop/bob.
The updates to it are what any of us would do, and its already done for you.
These bikes still need maintanence, though. don't be fooled into thinking you can just hop on and go. Today I fired up my chop, on the way out the drive, it dropped a cylinder. a little toying with the plug cap got it firing again, went for a nice evening ride around the hood.
If you dropped a cylinder like I did, would you have the were-with-alls to not freak out, and do some quick diagnosis and be on your merry way?
I don't know your mechanical level, but these bikes need attention.
You should get it. These are great bikes to learn mechanics on. simple machines. But simple engineering meens valves need adjusting a few times during the riding season, touchy rear drum brakes, ageing electrical.......
Its only a matter of time that we all will find another cheap jap bike that we can easily modify, and the xs650 will be passed on, and this site will slowly parish into cyberspace, being re-filled by the next popular item, my two cents.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to show a picture of it. The new exhaust has me suspicious now. It might not be what you think it is. Or it might be.

Maybe you Austin boyz could gang-up on it, go over it. If you DO find something, and the situation changes, and you decline, then that's an opportunity for xjwmx or dogbunny to get it...

it's definitely as nice as i describe it to be. I am very good mechanically on cars, and with a manual I feel like I could be great on bikes as well. I wouldnt really mod it much. I would change the seat in order to keep the original stock seat in as perfect condition as it is and drop some cafe bars on her. The electric has been redone and so have the bearings. I feel like if i find an xs for 1500 i would easily put another 1500 to get it to the shape that the bikr im considering is now.

there's also lots of nostalgia factor going into this purchase, and as soon as i sat on the bike... her and i just clicked. i have sat on lots of new bikes, and those bikes just lack true soul and life.

Your last post put it over in the buy column for me (for you). As long as you are comfortable knowing you could and in time will, drop another K into it. That said I smell a rather high emotional component here. You NEED a buddy who can look at it like dog shit on his front porch so the faults (there are ALWAYS faults) are known and accepted going in.
Someone mentioned rubber pieces (especially in a hot climate) There is one rubber piece that is the achilles heal of the XS650 the front cam chain guide. But that could go for 2 more decades and 25,000 miles. If the exhaust has been changed, a great stock set will run 3-500 for that year. An 81 Special has probably right around the lowest value of any XS650 going forward. But compared to ANY car this bike is a bargain. Perfect back road bomber, hour or 2 put put bike.
Unless the owner was really good, expect some carb fiddling to make a great running engine.

Back